Yvonne's RULES - Updated - here ya go Terryo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
Taking pics inside is always tricky.. so here goes.

These guys are right at 4".. and showing great colors all around.

They love the Hibiscus leaves and blooms!

I'll keep the humidity up so this 'male?' will have good "new-growth" - MARBLING in his genes!

YCherry3.jpg

Great "Cherry" head colors! Moved at the last second..

YCherry2.jpg

One of the nicest all around 'yearling' Brazilian's I've seen in quite awhile! Do I see "marbling" coming on?

YCherry1.jpg

Thank you Yvonne! Hope you like Terryo...

nerd

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Those are nice pictures, Terry. You're right...it does look like the new growth on that other one is marbling! Thanks for posting the pictures and I appreciated your comments about them. Makes me happy they went to a good home!

Yvonne

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I know you're usually an "outdoor" picture ...taker. Those look just as good to me. I LOVE the marbling. I wish Pio would get that. Can any of them get it? Or does it have to be in the "family" genes?

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
terryo said:
I know you're usually an "outdoor" picture ...taker. Those look just as good to me. I LOVE the marbling. I wish Pio would get that. Can any of them get it? Or does it have to be in the "family" genes?

Thanks Terry..

From what I understand.. not all of the "blood-lines" in the states have those "family" genes. And they are not that common actually.

We'll know in a few years when my '05 male starts "producing".. more like 5 years really!

Have I posted this female? An '05.. almost dark..

AAugust07Cherryhead.jpg

nerd

elegans

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Marbling in cherryheads is not all that uncommon. Most of the animals that I would consider exceptional have a varying degree of it. It does not always seem to be inherited though. In leopard Tortoises it is possible to grow "Blondes" by simply growing them faster than they are able to lay down melanin, as this is the last pigment produced as the shell grows from the seams. I believe that this is also the case with many, but not all cherryheads. In another 10 to 15 years we will all get to have a good laugh about these discussions, as a couple of generations of line breeding will prove this all out. Best wishes Douglas Beard / Flora & Fauna

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
There just simply all very pretty animals.

Chucky

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
S. Oregon
Ahhhh...and I was trying to scrub those white areas off! Now you tell me that's marbling :)

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Gee.. I wonder why 'marbling' only occurs in certain "Brazilians" and not in the "Northerns".. if the growing-fast theory is true???

And growing fast by feeding more produces space between the scutes.. not pyramiding. Pyramiding being a result of LOW humidity.. providing diet is correct. [ this should be rich ] Remember we're talking G. carbonaria ONLY here!

nerd

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Chucky said:
Ahhhh...and I was trying to scrub those white areas off! Now you tell me that's marbling :)

Wattaya gonna do 'bout "IVORY" Tim?

nerd

Chucky

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
S. Oregon
Redfoot NERD said:
Chucky said:

Wattaya gonna do 'bout "IVORY" Tim?

nerd

I bought some paint for her :D

elegans

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
That is mostly true, though I have seen a very few examples of Northerns that did indeed have marbling. In a few imported animals as well as a handful of captive born ones. I have never produced a Northern or a Bolivian that showed any signs of marbling. I also have a couple of cherryheads that have a significant amount of color on the skin of their neck which is not common. They sometimes produce babies that exhibit this same trait, but not always. Douglas Beard / Flora & Fauna

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
elegans said:
Marbling in cherryheads is not all that uncommon. Most of the animals that I would consider exceptional have a varying degree of it. It does not always seem to be inherited though. In leopard Tortoises it is possible to grow "Blondes" by simply growing them faster than they are able to lay down melanin, as this is the last pigment produced as the shell grows from the seams. I believe that this is also the case with many, but not all cherryheads. In another 10 to 15 years we will all get to have a good laugh about these discussions, as a couple of generations of line breeding will prove this all out. Best wishes Douglas Beard / Flora & Fauna

Apparently you have a reason for taking issue [ often unrelated exceptions and extremes ] with virtually everything that is said Douglas.. may I ask why that is?

Of course you're not alone...

nerd

Redfootedboxturtles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I don't care if my tortoise has marbles coming out of his nose as long as he is happy I am happy. = )

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Redfootedboxturtles said:
I don't care if my tortoise has marbles coming out of his nose as long as he is happy I am happy. = )

I don't get it Vince.. explain please?

nerd

elegans

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
" Apparently you have a reason for taking issue [ often unrelated exceptions and extremes ] with virtually everything that is said Douglas.. may I ask why that is?"

I am not really taking issue with anything said here, just adding my expierences. Living in South Florida I have seen literally thousands of Redfoots both imported and captive since moving here in 1988. I have at least a dozen friends that keep them as yard pets as we can leave them out yearround with a few nights protection. I am not discounting anyone elses perception, just adding my own perspective. Douglas Beard

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
elegans said:
" Apparently you have a reason for taking issue [ often unrelated exceptions and extremes ] with virtually everything that is said Douglas.. may I ask why that is?"

I am not really taking issue with anything said here, just adding my expierences. Living in South Florida I have seen literally thousands of Redfoots both imported and captive since moving here in 1988. I have at least a dozen friends that keep them as yard pets as we can leave them out yearround with a few nights protection. I am not discounting anyone elses perception, just adding my own perspective. Douglas Beard

So then if you've observed even 100 redfoots with "exceptional" marbling.. out of say 3000 redfoots that you've seen - that's 3%.. hardly common.

Have consideration that most new "Cherryhead" keepers have seen [ at best ] maybe a dozen redfoots at any given time.. especially those with ANY marbling. They're proud of what they have!

nerd

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Boy glad we got the air cleared up on that!

Sure is a beautiful day in the Redfoot world isn't it? :) :)

Jacqui whose only marbles are in her head. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.