Zane Zander my 3 yr Old Sulcuta

TiffFromCali

Location (City and/or State)
Ca
Hi everyone! MY NAME IS Tiffany, and I’m from California. I just wanted to introduce my Sulcuta, Zane Zander. I’m so thrilled to have found this site! Zane is 3 yrs old and almost 70lbs! He’s so unbelievably smart, and believe it or not, potty trained! My husband and I treat him like he’s our own son, may sound silly to some. We just love him so much! I have 3 red eared sliders, and knew nothing about sulcutas when Zane came into our lives.

I was given Zane by a family who couldn’t care for him. He was just a tiny baby (4 mos old). He was being fed adult tortoise pellets and had no heat lamp. When I received him, I thought he was dead. After a warm bath, and a ton of love he finally ate nutritious baby tortoise food later that day. Unfortunately, the next day he came down with a respiratory infection. We took him to the vet, and after a round of antibiotics, was finally healthy.

I had to really do my due diligence and learn FAST how to care for him correctly. I had no clue how expensive this guy would be, or the accommodations he requires. I didn’t realize I wouldn’t be able to take vacations anymore 😂, or even really go anywhere. I wouldn’t have it any other way. Not only have I acquired so much knowledge about sulcutas, I also learned a new trade. I had to learn how to fix drywall, base boards, paint and build fences. I also stay in shape carrying him upstairs so he can take his nightly bath and sleep.

Zane’s such a cuddler, and sleeps with us. Only because he’s potty trained. About 2 yrs ago I begged my husband to let him sleep with us, which was a hard NO. Not long after, Zane fell asleep with him. When I went to put him in his enclosure, husband said, “just leave him”. 55 lbs and 2 yrs later, he’s still in our bed. I do have a bed for him next to ours, and I do put him in it. Mysteriously he always winds up back in bed with us. Sometimes I think my husband likes sleeping next to him more 😂.
I joined to not only share my experience of having this giant boy, but to help others caring for theirs. I just love Sulcutas, and have a huge place in my heart for all turtles/tortoises. Zane is by far the smartest, and sweetest animal I’ve ever known. If anyone has any questions or just want to share their experience, feel free to reach out!

Attachments

• IMG_1611.jpeg
    IMG_1611.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 2
  • ReLens_IMG_20240214215147.jpeg
    ReLens_IMG_20240214215147.jpeg
    725.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1628.jpeg
    IMG_1628.jpeg
    734.1 KB · Views: 2

Renee_H

Glendora, Ca
Welcome! I’m also from Cali! He’s beautiful! I mean this sincerely, are you joking about him sleeping with you? I can’t tell if you’re being sincere or I am being naive? Like I see the picture but is it a joke? My tort lives outside 24/7 and she has her own house. She seems to enjoy shell rubs on her terms but also walks through her own poop so I can’t imagine what I am seeing. 😆
If he sleeps inside does he at least spend his days outside?

TiffFromCali

Ca
Welcome! I’m also from Cali! He’s beautiful! I mean this sincerely, are you joking about him sleeping with you? I can’t tell if you’re being sincere or I am being naive? Like I see the picture but is it a joke? My tort lives outside 24/7 and she has her own house. She seems to enjoy shell rubs on her terms but also walks through her own poop so I can’t imagine what I am seeing. 😆
If he sleeps inside does he at least spend his days outside?
Lol! Yep im 100% sincere about him sleeping with us. His schedule is basically waking up around 10am, my son carries him downstairs and he has his breakfast. He goes outside and basks/grazes/does his thing outside, then comes inside for his nightly bath. He soaks for about an hr, alternating between a shower and bath. He has his own tub because he goes to the bathroom (which is why he gets the shower too). Then once he’s done he paces the tub and knocks on the tub walls to let me know he wants to go to bed. Sounds so silly, but that’s our schedule 😂. He honestly doesn’t know he’s a tortoise, because we treat him like our child.

ryan57

PA
Lol! Yep im 100% sincere about him sleeping with us. His schedule is basically waking up around 10am, my son carries him downstairs and he has his breakfast. He goes outside and basks/grazes/does his thing outside, then comes inside for his nightly bath. He soaks for about an hr, alternating between a shower and bath. He has his own tub because he goes to the bathroom (which is why he gets the shower too). Then once he’s done he paces the tub and knocks on the tub walls to let me know he wants to go to bed. Sounds so silly, but that’s our schedule 😂. He honestly doesn’t know he’s a tortoise, because we treat him like our child.
This is soooo much like my 2.5 year old sulcata Stump. 19.5" long and 20.2Kg (44.53lbs) last Friday at the vet. Wakes up, has a snack in Kathleen's office, and goes outside. Then I come home from work, go for a walk 1/2 mile to a mile and then upstairs for 2 soaks then bedtime snack then in the doggie bed until 10-11am the next morning. His "coach" is 24" wide and his carapace length is 19.5".

He's on track to be about the same size as yours when he's 3 but he was at the vet because I noticed what I thought were parasites. It was confirmed that he has pinworms so I get his medicine tomorrow. Be mindful of that when cuddling or at least get yours checked out periodically.

Screenshot 2024-09-24 at 8.54.26 PM.png