Zekes sick (dehydrated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeke

5 Year Member
We took zeke to the vet today and he has 50% chance to survive...he is dehydrated. They gave us some stuff we have to do to kick start his recovery but it sucks...pet shops shouldnt be able to sell animals that they give false info on:(

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
RE: Zekes sick

Hi Beth:

I'm sorry that Zeke is sick. We all tried to warn you in the beginning that the baby tortoises need more water than the pet store told you about. Remember, pet stores are in the business to sell stuff and make money. Most of them don't really understand how to care for tortoises or why to do things we say to do.

Here's my rational: In the wild, baby tortoises hide a lot and really don't get into the real, hot sun very much. In our care, we have them under heat and lights, in essence, on slow cook. Even if they have a hiding place, their little habitat is hot. So we need to be sure they stay hydrated. And one way to do that is to give them a forced soak every day.

So listen to us, not the pet store. We won't steer you wrong.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California

I am sorry that Zeke is ailing. However, 50% is a workable percentage :D

I went and read your prior post...have you begun soaking him a couple times a day in a warm water soak? I would do this at least two times a day for an hour each time...being sure to keep the water warm ....as well as a flat soaking dish in his enclosure with fresh clean water. I would also add some cucumber and romaine and red leaf lettuce to his diet right now...as these items will aid in hydrating your little one....:D

Zeke

5 Year Member

Yes as soon as i read about giving him water i started soaking him way more but i dont think it was in time because the other day he stoped eating and moving...its just crazy because the pet store basically said we would kill him by giving him water...they have him on a special food to give him thru a syringe and shot with water every 72 hours...if it wasnt for this forum he prob wouldnt even have made it this long

Heliopteryx

5 Year Member

Have you gone and had a talk with the pet store yet? That's horrible!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
You know....I use to think it was wrong of me to share this...but the more that this type of thing happens (pet shop clerk not giving correct information) it convinces me that there should be a ban on live animals being sold in pet stores....unfortunately the clerks that work in the pet shop, more times than not, have no real basis for giving advice or care for most animals they handle.

You are still soaking him in addition to the other treatment, right? :D

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
oh yeah I did post it on my FACEBOOK...oopsie!...thanks for having my back Girl!

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
I really don't mean this the way it's going to sound. But if you're going to have an animal, you need to do all the research on it that you can. Get all the newest information you can find about it. You can't just rely on one source, especially not one that does not specialize in a few particular species, pet shops generally don't specialize in care at all. They are only good for providing us with the animal and the products, it is your responsibility to take those resources and make of it a healthy environment for your pet. I don't really know your particular case, and I don't mean to sound preachy. But aside from the pet shop not providing good care for the animal before it is sold, you can't blame the pet shop for not telling you how to correctly care for something. It's your responsibility as a pet owner. I wish I could say this to every one who ever enters a pet store. I really do hope things go well for you though. I have made mistakes myself that have lead to the loss of a beloved pet. Please don't think I'm bashing you or anyone else for that matter. I wish you the very best with your little one.

Zeke

5 Year Member
I realize i am at fault for him being sick but the pet store appeared like a relianle source...they had their own pet tortise that was very big and very healthly looking...he said that i would get other info about giving him water but that he knew first hand. I am not blaming him for zeke being sick because i am the one who did not give him water...either way it sucks:(

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I hope Zeke is able to pull through this. Good luck...

Don't blame yourself, you were given information from a source that for the normal person would be considerd reliable. With so much conflicting information from people and the internet, its hard to know what is accurate and whats not. I have gotten both good information and bad information from pet stores. All you can do is your best.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
The Pet store that sold me my little guy told me all the incorrect info, and sold me all the wrong stuff.
I Know for a fact many business just wanna make money, there are few that are in it for the love of the animals

Kyoki

5 Year Member
Orlando, Florida
I feel your pain. when I got my baby sulcata, the pet store sold me all the wrong products and gave me basically the same info as you. "No water. not even a water dish because the humidity could kill him. They get all their water through their food." This particular store has an 11 year old Sulcata that roams the store that is super active and affectionate...so I thought they should know what they were talking about. WRONG!

Lucky for me I did tons and tons of research after getting my baby. Most of the online care sheets were outdated and incorrect as well, but I was able to right all my wrongs before it was too late for him. I am so thankful I found this forum on time. I'm sure bowser is much happier now too! He is much more active and healthy than ever before. I really hope the same happens for you :)

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
I'm glad he's eating! Hopefully on the way to recovery. Great job going to the vet, I know you're doing everything you can.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
YAY!!! Eating is fantastic.....keep soaking...keep offering food and keep your will strong...you can do it :D and YAY ZEKE!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.