Zeus' New Digs

Status
Not open for further replies.

christinag

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
So I am getting one of Danny's little hatchlings. We are naming him Zeus since he's Greek (and he's already high and mighty around this house and he's not even here yet). :) I have finished his set-up. Here it is:
100_2787.jpg

It is 33" X 32". Two 30 gal tubs that I cut the sides off.
Hot side on the left and cool side on the right
I would like to get another hide for him. I was thinking of getting a clay flower pot and turning it on it's side, any other suggestions?
There are 4 fake cacti in there, is that ok?

I am open to suggestions since this is my first tort.

sendie

10 Year Member!
Lake Jackson, TX
I don't know anything about greek torts, but I just wanted to say Congratulations on getting your first!!

M

Maggie Cummings

I am always concerned about substrate that looks like it can't be moistened for a bit of humidity...What is that substrate? Did you do some research and see if Greeks need humidity or not? I don't know about Greeks but I'm big on some humidity because of the hot lights we keep our babies under...

christinag

5 Year Member
Colorado
The substrate is Aspen. Someone correct me if I am wrong but I believe Greeks are kept in a pretty low humidity environment, right?

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Aspen is ok....watch him the first few days, Anouk tried to nibble on the bigger pieces :) It was so cute, she ignored her log hides for like the first week entirely, and loved to burrow down in the substrate. (still still pretty much ignores them too! :p)

The one thing I would suggest is a couple plants to hide under. If you check out my thread about my baby, you will see pics of her hiding under those leaves? She does that everyday. There are some by her feeding dish too, and she takes a break from eating every couple of minutes to hide under the leaves, so that she feels safe.

I think hide-able plants would be a plus for your baby as well!

christinag

5 Year Member
Colorado
Thanks, where did you get your hide-able plants from? The pet store?

Meg90 said:
Aspen is ok....watch him the first few days, Anouk tried to nibble on the bigger pieces :) It was so cute, she ignored her log hides for like the first week entirely, and loved to burrow down in the substrate. (still still pretty much ignores them too! :p)

The one thing I would suggest is a couple plants to hide under. If you check out my thread about my baby, you will see pics of her hiding under those leaves? She does that everyday. There are some by her feeding dish too, and she takes a break from eating every couple of minutes to hide under the leaves, so that she feels safe.

I think hide-able plants would be a plus for your baby as well!

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
The craft store has a huge selection. The pet ones are usually expensive, although an option (I have one I got on sale). Just watch to make sure the tort does not think they are food (mine has taken a couple test nibbles without actually eating it, but now always remembers it is not food). You can also do real plants (organic or ones that have sat out of the enclosure for 3-6+ months), but those are more maintenance of course.

My hatchling also like to take food breaks and hide under the plant, and does he like to bask near a hay pile and sleep near a piece of driftwood for "cover". Their whole life is centered around hiding from predators, even in captivity.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I don't know anything about Greeks either, but congrats on your new tort. I think plants are the best natural hiding spots for all turts and torts. Even my water turtles would come out of the pond and hide under a plant. And the babies especially love to hide under plants. Don't forget to post some pictures when you get yours.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
christinag Hi, congratulations on selecting one of Dannys Greeks. He gives great aftercare so if you have any questions just ask him. Oh and as far as Aspen as a substrate. I know Danny uses it. For hatchlings using the fine shredded one for snakes works well. As hatchlings they need more humidity than you would think. You can provide this by giving him/her a humid hide. You can either afix a sponge on top of a log or flower pot and keep it wet or you can set up a hide with moistened Sphagnum moss, but be careful as the aspen will mold if wet. I split my enclosure in two by using some small stones and filled one side with coconut fiber (bed a beast) 70% and sand 30% this gives them the humidity as I can keep this damp and the top layer drys out with the heat lamps. Or they can go to the drier side with the Aspen. I have mine at about 60-70% humidity as hatchlings.

christinag

5 Year Member
Colorado
Thanks for the humid ity tip Robyn, I'm going to make is log hide a humid one. I went to the craft store today and got him some hidey plants. I'll post pics of the updates sometime this weekend. My son's birthday is tomorrow so I will try to get to it before then!
Crazy1 said:
christinag Hi, congratulations on selecting one of Dannys Greeks. He gives great aftercare so if you have any questions just ask him. Oh and as far as Aspen as a substrate. I know Danny uses it. For hatchlings using the fine shredded one for snakes works well. As hatchlings they need more humidity than you would think. You can provide this by giving him/her a humid hide. You can either afix a sponge on top of a log or flower pot and keep it wet or you can set up a hide with moistened Sphagnum moss, but be careful as the aspen will mold if wet. I split my enclosure in two by using some small stones and filled one side with coconut fiber (bed a beast) 70% and sand 30% this gives them the humidity as I can keep this damp and the top layer drys out with the heat lamps. Or they can go to the drier side with the Aspen. I have mine at about 60-70% humidity as hatchlings.

Status
Not open for further replies.