Zilla night black heat bulbs don't last

metropical

5 Year Member
we have a energy savers unltd 3 bulb fixture, RP460. 1 fluorescent, 2 edison base.
It has been filled with a zoomed reptisun UVB, 100wt Ziila Night Black Heat and an ExoTerra SunGlo 100wt.
The Zilla have the worst life, 6 months is long. It's on 8 hours a night.
The other 2 have been there for a few years and they're both on way longer each day.
Is there a better maker then Zilla for the same kind of bulb.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
This is just one reason why I don't like "colored" bulbs for night heat. I prefer CHEs. No light, all heat and they last forever.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I get very long life. I have one in one of my dog houses. They don't like to be bumped or jiggled around. Especially when the filament is still hot.
I don't use a CHE only because I use the faint glow to let me know that it is turned on at night from a distance. And because it doesn't really get cold here.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

I use regular 60 watt black incandescent bulbs that I buy from the party store by the case at Halloween time. I get them for $2.50 a bulb. One black light bulb lasts me all winter and into the next winter (not used during summer).

But, speaking of Zilla - because they were the cheapest bulbs I found while 'window' shopping online, I purchased two Zilla MVB (Mercury Vapor Bulbs). One of them I used right away, but the other sat on the shelf until needed, about 3 months later (past the time I could send it back because it was faulty). Well, I had to use it yesterday. I screwed it into a porcelain fixture and plugged it in. It shone brightly for about 15 seconds, then started to dim, eventually going out completely. I waited the 15 minutes for it to cool down, but it never came back on. $40 down the drain! I'm never buying that brand again.

metropical

5 Year Member
thanks for the pict of the CHE. I'll try that if there are no other suggestions for BL heat bulb makers. Done with Zilla.

Zoo Med or ZGY?

Fortunately, we only have the one that needs night heat. Amazon is closer than the party store here.

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
They do last a very long time, and work well, however, I have so many night houses to heat that the CHE cost me too much money to run. The black bulbs do the job just fine at a cheaper rate.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
How low are the night time temps? You may not need supplemental heat, depending on what species you have.

metropical

5 Year Member
dunno the species off hand, but we have observed he likes it warm.
gets cold here in the winter, probably 60º at night when it's on. May thru Oct is not too bad.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I know it's a little off topic for this thread, but I wanted to make sure you understand the different species of tortoise require different food, care, etc. It is in your tortoise's best interest to learn what species he is NOW, before he gets sick.

metropical

5 Year Member
he's been with us for a decade or more. hasn't been sick yet. my wife prolly knows better what he is. my I do the house maintenance, so electrical research is on me, whatever the purpose.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Got it! I totally understand. I know more about my animals than others in my family too.