Zilla Tropical T8 for redfoot?

Delilah1623

I am confused by all the lighting options and am hoping someone can clarify for me if a Zilla tropical T8 strip light would be sufficient for a redfoot tortoise? I always see MVB bulbs recommended and have one of those for my russian but my redfoot wouldn't open his eyes when I had an MVB for his enclosure, I think because it was so bright.

Is the Zilla bulb ok or should I replace it with a Reptisun 10.0 or something else?

I asked for help at Petco but he tried to get me to buy a heat mat and other junk so I gave up there.

Tyanna

Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
I am confused by all the lighting options and am hoping someone can clarify for me if a Zilla tropical T8 strip light would be sufficient for a redfoot tortoise? I always see MVB bulbs recommended and have one of those for my russian but my redfoot wouldn't open his eyes when I had an MVB for his enclosure, I think because it was so bright.

Is the Zilla bulb ok or should I replace it with a Reptisun 10.0 or something else?

I asked for help at Petco but he tried to get me to buy a heat mat and other junk so I gave up there.

I'm not knowledgeable on anything but the MVBs. When I had an MVB with too high of a wattage it seemed to really bug my tortoises eyes. I didn't know it was too high of a wattage as I was still learning. Don't steer away from them yet, what wattage were you using? They're really strong.

DanaMM

5 Year Member
Hi! I have one of those in my tortoise table because I have live plants. My table is 3' x 6'. I have it on a timer. It seems to work great and my prior research indicated that it was safe to use. That said, I also have regular heat/basking lights (a 100w reptisun and something lower on the cool side) because that is not really a heat lamp. Other info: Temps range in the mid 80s. Humidity is at 80%.

How big is your habitat?

Delilah1623

Thanks everyone (=

I had a 100 watt powersun MVB.

It is a hatchling redfoot so he is currently in a 40 gallon breeder tank. I also have a 100 watt black heat bulb that is on all the time and the Zilla light on a timer for 13 hours on.

I do have a glass top on the tank but there is a gap about 1.5" that is open which is where I have the florescent light located.

Delilah1623

If your set-up isn't satisfactory, message me and I'll explain my red foot setup. Heat lamps aren't as important as UVB and humidity. No bright lights.
I tried to message you but i get a message i cannot start a conversation with you lol

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Medford Oregon
this is a debated topic but there is some people who say redfoot's don't bask so you don't need to have a basking uvb like a powersun a fluorescent tube will be fine, MY personal opinion is that a UVB T8 10.0 is good enough i have had my red since febuary and have paid a lot of attention watching his activity MY tortoise only seem's to bask under the normal indascent when he get's done soaking himself and wants to dry off

again that's MY personal opinion so please no one crucify me for it

i've heard a couple people also say red's don't bask indoors they'll bask outdoor's tho so indoor's having a more spread out UVB reach is better