Zippy the wonder tortoise, new to this forum!

Richieracer

Location (City and/or State)
Henderson, Nevada
Hello this is Zippy, we inherited him from a family who were moving to Utah (Salt Lake) Zippy now lives in Henderson NV.
I find this forum very informative and if someone can help ID his species it would be helpful. Seems healthy we have had him for four months now. Feeding him Natural Grassland Tortoise Food with chopped dandelions, kale or Romain. From what we were told he’s about a year old.
Thanks all for any and all help.

9D755D48-5F16-4FEF-88ED-0B99F7A87432.jpeg60179754-F269-4B56-BFEC-8E180AB7C493.jpeg

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
My sister's exmother in law was the first woman postmaster for the Henderson post office. She was there 50 years or so...you old enuf to know her?
Your baby is a very dry Sulcata tortoise. Unless you change almost everything in that picture, there 'could' be dire consequences. He NEEDS a humid hide and about 80% ambient humidity. Please read this care sheet and let us help you raise a nice tortoise. But you really need to read this and make changes for that baby.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome, what a cutie.
Pics of your enclosure would be great so we can guide you to get everything right.
Read the caresheets for sulcata's and remember they get huge. Sulcata's are the 3rd largest tortoise species. Will probably get over 100lbs!

Richieracer

Henderson, Nevada
Welcome, what a cutie.
Pics of your enclosure would be great so we can guide you to get everything right.
Read the caresheets for sulcata's and remember they get huge. Sulcata's are the 3rd largest tortoise species. Will probably get over 100lbs!

Richieracer

Henderson, Nevada
My sister's exmother in law was the first woman postmaster for the Henderson post office. She was there 50 years or so...you old enuf to know her?
Your baby is a very dry Sulcata tortoise. Unless you change almost everything in that picture, there 'could' be dire consequences. He NEEDS a humid hide and about 80% ambient humidity. Please read this care sheet and let us help you raise a nice tortoise. But you really need to read this and make changes for that baby.

Thank you for the info, will send new pic and enclosure but looks like I’ll be changing quite a bit. We want only the best for our little fellow and will spend time and resources to insure his long healthy life....

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Thank you for the info, will send new pic and enclosure but looks like I’ll be changing quite a bit. We want only the best for our little fellow and will spend time and resources to insure his long healthy life....
We can help you with your changes so you only do it once.

Herman_WA

Washington
Hello this is Zippy, we inherited him from a family who were moving to Utah (Salt Lake) Zippy now lives in Henderson NV.
I find this forum very informative and if someone can help ID his species it would be helpful. Seems healthy we have had him for four months now. Feeding him Natural Grassland Tortoise Food with chopped dandelions, kale or Romain. From what we were told he’s about a year old.

View attachment 311078View attachment 311079
Very cute Tort! Welcome to the site!

Richieracer

Henderson, Nevada
Hello and thanks again for the welcome and posts.
Ok two new pic,s of Zippy, the first is our current enclosure but I will be making him a new larger, more humid enclosure covered and heated. The information sheet really opened my eyes to my responsibility’s to my little Zippy.
The second is the second day of soaking Zippy in the recommended 80/90 degree water my question is first day he discharged just the white extract? What is that please? The second he both did the same and a few minutes latter pooped twice which were his normal moist yet solid, but by the time I got my phone to take the pic the dissolved?
Is this normal .. ?
Thanks for any help,

Richie Cino

Attachments

• D2790DC1-2002-412D-8387-379C5C11CBFB.jpeg
    D2790DC1-2002-412D-8387-379C5C11CBFB.jpeg
    572.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 469AF078-4E63-48D1-8A11-F8BB6C698A86.jpeg
    469AF078-4E63-48D1-8A11-F8BB6C698A86.jpeg
    334.1 KB · Views: 13

Herman_WA

Washington
Ok two new pic,s of Zippy, the first is our current enclosure but I will be making him a new larger, more humid enclosure covered and heated. The information sheet really opened my eyes to my responsibility’s to my little Zippy.
The second is the second day of soaking Zippy in the recommended 80/90 degree water my question is first day he discharged just the white extract? What is that please? The second he both did the same and a few minutes latter pooped twice which were his normal moist yet solid, but by the time I got my phone to take the pic the dissolved?
Is this normal .. ?
Thanks for any help,

Richie Cino
I don't exactly know what it is, but my tort has that same white stuff. I researched, and found that it was just his pee, but I'm sure someone out there can give you a better answer.

jr_16

Fontana Ca

View attachment 311078View attachment 311079
Love that name zippy and they are such cuties :)

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Is this normal .. ?
Thanks for any help,

Richie Cino
Pretty sure those are urates. Keep soaking everyday to help with those, but keep an eye on it. You can also search for threads here about it ?
Look up closed chambers here to and you'll get tons of ideas!
I use grow tents that have been tweaked. My leopards enclosure would be a good example since they have similar care. This is a 3ftx6ft and he is in the soaking tub since I was spot cleaning his enclosure.
20201025_104206.jpg20201025_104201.jpg20201009_185644.jpg

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Is this normal .. ?
Thanks for any help,

Richie Cino
The "white stuff' is called urates. The tortoise's insides take all the moisture out of the urine, and what is left is white 'urates'. it is watery and or creamy. Watery is good, creamy is ok but dry pasty urates is bad. Gritty urates is bad sometimes leading to death. Why are you taking photos of is poop? We have all seen, touched, smelled and had poop. Soaking does make them poop...ain't no thing...lol