Zombensis

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
Ok, I admit to knowing next to nothing about these guys so hoping Kelly or someone like that will come along. But four 10cm ones are available for an extremely cheap price. Obviously I will be cautious, but just interested. Any basic care ideas?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Same as belliana or speks. They overlap in regions too. Grassland savanna species. They just get bigger than others, except belliana belliana.

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
I'll get some animals. I have to look too..

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Go to page 49. That is where Kinixys starts. There are some good range maps. https://portals.iucn.org/library/efiles/edocs/ssc-op-005.pdf

The only ones considered rainforest are Erosa/Homeana. Natalensis, Lobatsiana, Zombensis, Domerguie, Nogueyi, Belliana and Spekii are all grassland Savannah. The care is realitvely similar. Sometimes Lobatse and Natalensis are difficult to adjust in captivity because they undergo some cooler weather in RSA, and can be tricky when imports. But any good keeper knows how what the risks are.

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
I think so too. It isn't so difficult to keep tortoises like zombensis. There aren't a lot of experience with them but they live next to species like spekii. I can get my animals from a place where spekii live too.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
So a bit drier than nogueyi then basically-but then again, my guys would be from Togo, which for the most part I believe to be very wet? Same omnivorious diet maybe with less fruit?
What kind of size do they reach as adults?

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
Zombensis from togo? No they can't be zombensis. Zombensis and belliana belliana come from the east of Africa. Like Tanzania or mosambike. Why do do you think that it is zombensis do you have a photo?

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
I have been told it is zombensis but looking at the range maps I am starting to doubt that. The shells also don't look patterned enough for zombensis.

Ok here's a picture:

Just shows what inquiring more is worth.

Nogueyi are around Togo aren't they? It would certainly suit the appearance.

Attachments

• zombensis.jpg
    zombensis.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 63

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
They get around 10" for females and a little smaller for males. They are only in eastern ranges from Kenya to SA. Dry seasons are more favorable than wet. But wet seasons do occur in spring months. Some summer storms but nothing like Togo, Benin, congo etc..

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
So no they aren't zombensis. It is nougeiy. Indeed they species look often same when they are baby's but the range from where come is 100% no zombensis. How much he ask for them?

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
Haha :-D that's ca. 55€ per head. So now you can be sure that they aren't zombensis.

Nogueyi

5 Year Member
Odp: Zombensis

Flintus
In Poland there is not koruna but zloty and this torts are nogueyi.
The story about zombenzis from Togo came out from one pal from Spain.