Zoo med power sun alternative

Nrc470

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
Does anyone have experience with these bulbs. I usually use zoo med 100 watt power sun. But I saw this on amazon. Let me know your thoughts. IMG_1521689118.022654.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Better to use a less desiccating lower wattage flood bulb from the hardware store and a HO florescent tube for UV and light.

Without a UV meter, there is no way to know what any MVB is doing.

Nrc470

5 Year Member
Virginia
Alright I have two golden Greek yearlings what tube fixture would you recommend

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Depends on the height you want to mount it.

I love the Arcadia bulbs you posted, but they make very strong UV. They need to be mounted at least 18" and 22-24" when new and used with a reflector hood. They also last for years. Mine give a UV index reading of 6-7 at about 20" high, and that is very strong UV. I have them on timers to come on for 3-4 hours mid day to simulate the UV spike that occurs outside daily.

For closer mountings, the ZooMed 10.0 HO bulbs are also very good.

In either case I highly recommend a UV meter to check the bulb's status and make sure you have the correct amount of UV reaching your tortoises. This is the meter to get: https://www.solarmeter.com/model65r.html

Nrc470

5 Year Member
Virginia
Alright I’ll get the Arcadia bulb what wattage should I get for the flood lights.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Alright I’ll get the Arcadia bulb what wattage should I get for the flood lights.
I usually use 65 watt floods, but it depends on your application and mounting height. In my new 18" tall closed chambers the 65s were too hot. I had to go down to 39 watt regular round bulbs. In most cases the 65 watt bulbs work well. I adjust their height to get the correct temperature under them.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas

Be sure that you aren’t housing them together. Tortoises are completely solitary, and can’t make friends. They only see other tortoises as mates or combatants :)