Zoo Med Powersun 100 watt question.

Hello I recently got a zoo med powersun 100 watt, for my one year old male star tortoise. I wanted a lamp. I got the national geographic heat lamp 7.5 inches in diameter. The bulb fits in very good. Since I live in india the temperatures on a sunny day would be 84 -86 degrees Fahrenheit. The powersun also releases a lot of heat. I am also going to make a new enclosure for it . It would be 6 foot by 2 foot. I want to ask you all what should be the distance betweem my tortoise and the bulb? And how high I should make the enclosure?
Please answer.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I am not familiar with the bulb you are talking about, however, if it's a coil,type bulb, I would not use it. They have been known to cause eye problems and still do.
If you can get your tort outside most days for natural UVB, you do not need a UVB. That said, the bulb usually will have instructions on the distance it should be.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
I keep my power sun, non coil type, about 12 inches from top of shell. It gives me the right amount of heat. You loose strength of uv the farther away from bulb so do what works for your enclosure. Not too close though so you do not burn the shell..

who rocks

If u r in India don't use it... Natural is natural... Even 20min sunlight is enough every day... Its best to have enclosure outdoor.my star is 8 now. All season he is out door.. Active & healthy.