Zoo Med Reptisun. 10. UVB T5 HO Lamp fixture.

Dandelion_@_

Location (City and/or State)
New Hampshire
Jeff;

I just can't get myself to trust the Bulbs from China. We still see issues from the compacts and CHE's made in China. Just not the quality control there to assure to my satisfaction that there is not too much UVC being emitted by the bulb.

I am testing the SurSun. Sold by Vivatek:

Francis Baines and her colleague did test these bulbs and reported absolutely no UVC is being emitted. I wanted info from an independent lab verifying the bulb did not emit UVC.

The problem is that without a very expensive lab quality spectrometer, you cannot tell from the reading of a solarmeter if there is UVC contributing to the reading you are getting, or just UVB. The meter is weighted to screen out readings from UVA, but with UVC you will get a response with the meter that looks like strong UVB. That was often the issue with some of the China-made compacts. So to this day, I still will not use a CHE or a compact fluorescent from a China manufacturer.

Zoo Med is also now marketing a LED UVB bulb. I haven't see independent spectrometer results, but Zoo Med is a good company. Just last month, the CEO of Zoo Med was trying to get me to test his bulbs. I will soon, but haven't yet.

Dandelion_@_

Location (City and/or State)
New Hampshire
Thanks for posting this info. We are on the verge of buying 'something' to improve over the old UV lamps zoom med sold. We have a single Hermann's tort in an open indoor habitat. He gets plenty of light through the windows around his clear-sided 4'x8' space. Tom recommending buying a solar meter but we're struggling with the price. Do you think they "Jungle" version of this product would be the right buy?