1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Zoo Med Reptisun t5 or t8 Terrarium hood?

Discussion in 'Tortoise Enclosure Lighting' started by richxboy, Jan 23, 2018.

1. richxboy

richxboy New Member

Which one do you guys prefer? Im planning on hanging it in the center of my enclosure so it can light up the whole area. my enclosure is 36 in L x 24 in W. I'm planning on hanging it about 18-20 inches from my sulcata. I'm thinking i should get the t5 hood with a 5.0 bulb. what do u guys think?
    snivloc16 likes this.
  2. Jay Bagley

Jay Bagley Well-Known Member

(These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    I was advised to use T5 10.0 high output for my Sulcata.
  3. Jay Bagley

Jay Bagley Well-Known Member

Also, I emailed somebody on this form who uses the the 10.0 bulb, and he had advised me to hang at 14 to 16 in if going with the Zoo Med.
  4. richxboy

richxboy New Member

okay... cause im think the t5 with 10.0 would be too much uvb for them hanging from 18-20 inches. I try to bring out my sulcata everyday out in the sun for 1 hr a day if i have time and if the sun is out.
  5. Markw84

Markw84 Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

The T5 is a far superior fixture and bulb over the now outdated T8. It is way more intensity of light for the watt so more efficient and almost twice as bright. The T5 runs at 95° peak performance so also does better and lasts longer in our enclosure environment. The T8 runs at 75° for peak performance so it will run hotter than its meant to in our enclosures and will not last as long. The bulb life on a T5 is considerably longer. Keep in mind a reflective hood on the fixture will almost double the UVB level at the same distance. I would think 18” should be just about right for a 10.0.
  6. richxboy

richxboy New Member

Thanks for the reply. What can happen if my Sulcatas gets too much uvb if 10.0 is to strong? She’ll birn right?
  7. Markw84

Markw84 Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Yes. You need to be careful to ensure the bulb is not too close to the tortoise. I always use a solarmeter 6.5 to check UVB output and ensure proper exposure. There is no way to be totally sure in your application without that meter to check. Without that, you can only go by the guidelines that are printed on the box in which the light comes. Never mount the bulb closer than those guidelines.
    Longhorns1187 likes this.