Zoo Med Reptisun UVB 10.0 HO Light 48in

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leroy's_homeboy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SE Wisconsin
Hi, Our russian tortoise,Leroy, has pretty much been inactive since may. We thought it could have been his mvb light being old so we replaced it with a PowerSun 100w mvb. We kept it in for 3 months but it seemed like he would kinda stay away from it, like it bothered him. Then I purchased a SolarGlo 125w mvb and same thing. The mvb is 14" above the top of his shell, with a Che light on one end and a regular incandescent on the other. I'm starting to think mvb's are not all they're cracked up to be. My question is will the 48" Reptisun I just bought be too big/bright for his 5x2 enclosure. If it is I will return it but I'm not sure if I should then purchase the 24" or 36" instead. I've included a pic of the ReptiSun I ordered
100475L_zoomed_promo.jpg

greyshirt

5 Year Member
Floresville, Texas
I'm thinking it might be something else if he hasn't been moving much for several months. What temps and humidity do you have. Do you soak him regularly? If you are able to put him outside for a couple of hours a few days a week would help as far as the uvb situation. Depending on other variables I think he might need to see a vet.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Look at this post.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-38905.html#axzz28R3vNn95
there are a couple of current threads on this issue, too.

Billy makes a good point; if your temps have been OK (basking 95-100F and cool side 65-70F), tort is being soaked, etc., then a vet check/fecal check may be in order. But they do need to be cool enough, and warm enough, and to choose which one they want; to function well.

However, GBtortoise has a lot of experience with Russian/mediterranean torts, and uses the tube fluorescent lights with a (non UVB) basking light for warmth. If your enclosure is 5' long, then a 4' tube UV light is fine. The more UV, the merrier.
Just make sure there are warm and cool hides that he can retire to if needed. Also, the lights should be on a timer so they are off at night and come on early in the morning.
I would try it if I were you. Do you have the fixture?

Leroy's_homeboy

5 Year Member
SE Wisconsin
greyshirt said:
I'm thinking it might be something else if he hasn't been moving much for several months. What temps and humidity do you have. Do you soak him regularly? If you are able to put him outside for a couple of hours a few days a week would help as far as the uvb situation. Depending on other variables I think he might need to see a vet.

The temps are 95-80 on the hot side and around 70 on the cool side. We try to soak him every other day. He has been outside most of the summer but now our daily highs are around 50:( I am in the process of looking for a vet, one that actually has worked with chelonians,the last one we brought him too didn't seem to be very knowledgeable.

lynnedit said:
Look at this post.

Billy makes a good point; if your temps have been OK (basking 95-100F and cool side 65-70F), tort is being soaked, etc., then a vet check/fecal check may be in order. But they do need to be cool enough, and warm enough, and to choose which one they want; to function well.

However, GBtortoise has a lot of experience with Russian/mediterranean torts, and uses the tube fluorescent lights with a (non UVB) basking light for warmth. If your enclosure is 5' long, then a 4' tube UV light is fine. The more UV, the merrier.
Just make sure there are warm and cool hides that he can retire to if needed. Also, the lights should be on a timer so they are off at night and come on early in the morning.
I would try it if I were you. Do you have the fixture?
Yep we have the fixture just waiting for the bulb. It's funny you mention GBtortoise, I was reading a couple of his posts and they made me wanna switch to the fluorescent tube lights. We have his current lighting set up on timer from 6am-8pm. should I use that same lighting cycle when I install the reptisun?

greyshirt

5 Year Member
Floresville, Texas
lynnedit said:
Look at this post.

Thank you Lynne for being so kind in helping me learn something new. I was amazed at that thread. I have two "Russians", but since I live in South Texas they are outside for about 8-10 months out of the year. Mine are always active unless they are sick, which isn't very often. I had no idea the light had so much to do with their activity level. Once again thank you, I really appreciate it. This forum is really fantastic!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Thanks, I have learned a lot here too, including the fact that there is more than one way to do things! Depends on your tort, where you live, etc.

Cody, I do think the duration is still 12-14 hours, same idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.