Zoo med tortoise block review

turdle yerdle

Location (City and/or State)
IL
I bought this for my tortoise Koopa and he bit it ounce. It's just another fail cuttle bone. My tortoise doesn't like cuttle bone either. He bit it the first time because it was fresh and he was curious, but over time, the block lost the aroma. He NEVER pays attention to it at all. It's just a more expensive cuttle bone. I got this because he didn't like cuttle bone so I would see if he liked this. Some other tortoises love this, but mine doesn't like this. It's just my tortoises preference.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Mine don't like it either. If you feed a good varied diet they don't need all the additives of calcium etc. I feed a varied diet and it includes Mazuri and some small amounts of spinach, good calcium source if amount is kept down

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
I wonder if you could use a cheese grater or something similar to shred some of the block over food, like as a "garnish"? My tort isn't very interested in his block either, but I can see him getting sufficient calcium from his outdoor garden/enclosure, so he's not actively looking for more calcium. But if no one else has tried this yet, this might be a suitable experiment for me in the cooler months when Steve has less food available outside. At least that way the block wouldn't go to waste?

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I use cuttle bone and both my box turtles and my redfoot chew on them.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
My one year old Gulf Coast box turtle actually likes the tortoise calcium block. I don't give her the entire thing at once, or even big pieces. I break off small pieces at a time, and she does nibble on them from time to time, both in and out of water. I was hoping it would help her develop a taste for green things. I sprinkle the powdery crumbles in with the other foods I feed the earthworms.

Kristy1970

5 Year Member
Addis, LA
Daisy loves her cuddle bone... looks like a dog took a bite out of it. Her face gets white a couple times a week so I’m thinking she only eats it occasionally... also she drags it around her enclosure and pulls it in her hide.

Kristy1970

5 Year Member
Addis, LA
Daisy loves her cuddle bone... looks like a dog took a bite out of it. Her face gets white a couple times a week so I’m thinking she only eats it occasionally... also she drags it around her enclosure and pulls it in her hide.

She is a baby, got her in March of this year, she is 183 grams.