Zoomed ceramic heater question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtrux

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, TX
I have read that lots of people use these. Do you use them at night only or as the only source for heat?

I'm trying to set up a rubbermaid enclosure for a future purchase and was just trying to get a feel for what the best lighting/heating combo I should use.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
What are your temps? if your trying to raise them you could leave it on all the time or put it on a timer to come on at night when your lights go off :)

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Don't have it setup yet. I was gonna set up an enclosure and make sure the temps and humidity were correct so when I get my baby it will be right.

sueb4653

5 Year Member
Pueblo West
jtrux said:
Don't have it setup yet. I was gonna set up an enclosure and make sure the temps and humidity were correct so when I get my baby it will be right.
i'm new here so dont know if I'm totally correct but I used 2 54 gal rubber maid containers and joined them together I have a ceramic heater for at night and a sun light the mercury vapor kind for during the day

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I use a CHE in my indoor enclosure for my babies. It is on a thermostat so it will come on whenever the temp falls below 80 degrees, day or night. During the day I have a mercury vapor bulb for UVA=UVB and basking at about 95-100 degrees, it stays on for 14 hours during the day and is on a timer. Based on this setup, the CHE usually never comes on except at night when the MVB is off. Our household ambient temp is usually around 78 degrees, yours may be different. Hope this helps.

p.s. I also use a long fluorescent type light over the entire enclosure for more light, but it doesn't give off heat.

This works well when it is not possible for them to be outside.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I use them as well. Very easy and effective way to heat your tortoise.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I have a CHE on hand for when temps are cooler and need an extra boost, but that isn't often in my case. The room hardly goes below 80degrees in these summer nights. I assume I'll use it more in fall/winter nights. I may even attach it to a thermostat then. During the day my basking light in addition to the warm room temps lets me meet all my torts temperature needs without extra heat sources. If you run AC a lot or have a cooler house you may find the basking bulb/CHE combo works...Have your set up running by tomorrow before your new tort comes on wednesday so you can see how your temps are and adjust before hand.

I was able to find a ceramic socket brooder lamp for my CHE at WalMart for $11 which was a much better price than the petsmart light domes.

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Just an update for anyone who had the same question. I have a 60w CHE for use at night approx 15" from the enclosure floor and right under the CHE it will get 90, everywhere else is around 78, however, since its been cooling off the hot spot is closer to 82 and 73 in the cool spot. Im buying a 100w for the cooler months. He sleeps in a humid hide right under the CHE so I wasnt too concerned with the low temp but just in case ill get the bigger one and hook it to a thermostat.

Status
Not open for further replies.