Zoomed Grassland Pellets or Mazuri?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ben32hayt

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Long Island, New York
Hi, I was wondering what people prefer zoomed grassland tortoise pellets or mazuri tortoise diet. I have used both previously but I don't have a preference. I was wondering if anyone knew which is healthier. I have a star tortoise and a Hermann's tortoise which I feed the pellets to.
-Ben

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't know which is healthier, but Mazuri is quite a bit cheaper. 50lbs of the Zoo Med costs $120 not including shipping, but a 20lbs sack of Mazuri is only $20 at the feed store, no shipping required.

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
I was told that ZooMed is better, but Mazuri is sweeter tasting. I get both and mix them together.

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
I could get my RFs to eat the ZooMed until I fed them the Mazuri. Now they just walk on past it and leave it. Great idea about mixing it...I am going to have to try that.

ben32hayt

5 Year Member
Long Island, New York
Thanks everyone for the advice I too have red-foots but I wasn't sure if they would eat the grassland food so I buy them mazuri.
-Ben

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
What about Zoo Med Forest?

LLLReptile

TFO Sponsor
5 Year Member
jaizei said:
What about Zoo Med Forest?

Red foots at the store often love the ZooMed Forest Tortoise diet. We had one at our Menifee store that would ignore fresh greens to eat the pellets! I'll have to see if I can find the pics of him eating them, he loved the things.

-Jen

mikeh

5 Year Member
Prefer Zoomed. Looks, feels and smells natural, no funky scent, you can see what's in it. My torts don't care for it alone, mixed with their more preferred food they eat it. Their poop looks healthy.

Mazuri feels like greasy glue after moistening. Moisten it, run between your fingers for few minutes, as it starts drying you get glue consistency. Let it sit in the water and watch an oily film form on top (vitamin E, I presume). I also noticed it looks the same when it comes out to of the tort as it went in. Those few observations were enough for me to not use it. I will try the new formula when available.

sent from mobile device using TFO app

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Yes, I fed my ZooMed Forest not grassland. Sorry, I just caught that part. I also mixed it with the ZooMed for Box Turtles. Similar but the pellets are smaller. Works if you have hatchlings or Juveniles who aren't used to those bigger pellets.

LLLReptile

TFO Sponsor
5 Year Member
Found it!

-Jen

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
Torts do not take to grassland as easy as Mazuri, that is why mixing helps them eat it. I also put the mix on the greens, never off by itself, I know then they will not eat it by itself.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I find most tortoises much more willing to eat the Mazuri if it is served alone, when compared to the ZooMed.

Regardless of palatability, I think both foods are a good addition to a varied tortoise diet. I use both. Sometimes together, sometimes mixed with other greens and sometimes by themselves. But I don't use either very often. Maybe once or twice a week tops.

rayneygirl

5 Year Member
SoCal
yea i definitely add it with other things, my sulcata won't eat it alone either. today i put it with hibiscus leaves, 2 kinds of rose leaves, spring mix, some mallow, some cut grass.

hanzel

5 Year Member
mix them together too,zoo med,mazuri,plus repcal

Sent from my iPad using TortForum mobile app

LLLReptile said:
Found it!

-Jen

LOL

Sent from my iPad using TortForum mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.