ZooMed Grassland Tortoise Food

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sudhira

5 Year Member
Out of the clear blue, I placed some Grassland Tortoise Pellets in the enclosure along with fresh greens and weeds, both my Greeks at moistened pellets AND greens, amazing. I had mixed some TNT in as well...go figure

XxDarkEuphoriaxX

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Indiana
I feed my gopher tortoise exclusively grassland tortoise diet in the winter and it is outside for a good part of every day during the spring/summer/fall eating grass and weeds. It eats it (grassland tortoise diet) and its stools are always formed and I can see part of the grassland tortoise diet that wasn't digested in the stool. It seems pretty healthy and robust on this diet, I think it would be better that the Mazuri for my species of tortoise anyhow. I occasionally pick grass and weeds currently from outside to supplement with the occasional romaine lettuce treat. (once every few weeks not that often)

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Why dont you feed him escarole, dandelions, chicory... during the winter, they are very easy to find at the grocery store in the winter and you could feed the grassland tortoise diet as a suplement?

Jupiterannette

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wet the zoomed pellets and add a few drops of apple juice the smell works like the molasis in the mazuri diet, and they chow down! after a few days you can start giving it dryer and no apple juice or just some greens with it or what ever else you feed, and they go nuts... but i think the key is starting it asa "treat" to them, like oooo you want this i know you do...

I have had dozer my 5yo sulcata 2 days, he never had it before me... and he is eating it.. this morning i put it in went to get the purified water and apple juice to wet it, and came back he had a chuck hanging from his mouth liek "what? im hungy!"

he also eats hay and spring mix.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Except that a redfoot tortoise really isn't considered to be a "grassland" tortoise. They go for more of the broad-leafed plants and weeds.

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
It's not true. Redfoots are as opportunistic as the next tortoise. They might show a preference for broad leaf plants but so do Leopards given the opportunity.

vickyb said:
True Yvonne.

While the RF might not be considered a grassland tortoise it is very much so.

emysemys said:
Except that a redfoot tortoise really isn't considered to be a "grassland" tortoise. They go for more of the broad-leafed plants and weeds.

vickyb

5 Year Member
I love that song. Its from Enigma's first album: MCMXCaD

Anyway, point noted. I have started growing grass in her enclosure and she takes a munch on her way to the food bowl :)

fifthdawn

5 Year Member
I got bored and compared the ingredients of Mazuri and Zoomeds. I compared the list with ZooMed's Forest diet.

ZooMed - This is what Zoomed had that Mazuri doesn't.

Suncured Timothy Hay, Fish Meal, Dried Papaya, Dried Mango, Escarole, Endive, saPaprika Extract, Dried Dandelion Greens, Sodium Bicarbonate, Soy Lecithin, Direct-Fed Microorganisms (Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei, Bifidobacterium bifidum, Enterococcus faecium, and Aspergillus oryzae), , Dried Saccharomyces Cerevisiae Fermentation Solubles, Hydrated Sodium Calcium Aluminosilicate, Garlic Extract, Anise Extract, Chinese Cassia Bark Extract, Ginger Extract, Horseradish, Juniper Extract, Natural Flavoring, Yucca schidigera, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of stabilized Vitamin C), Rosemary Extract, Ascorbic Acid, Citric Acid, Silicon Dioxide, Niacin Supplement,

This is what Mazuri has that ZooMed doesn't

Ground corn. Ground oat, soy bean oil, salt, L-lysine, nicotinic acid, colbalt carbinate,

The items that they both had, I just crossed it off the list. Keep it mind this isn't exactly accurate. I cross off stuff that had similar name. Ex, Ground Soybean and Suncured Soybean. I considered them the same. Others were were different elements but purpose was both to provide Vit A, so I crossed those out as well. I think there were also stuff like zinc carbonate and zinc oxide, though I probably shouldn't but you get the idea of stuff I crossed out.

I'm starting to like what I see in the ZooMed pellets. I haven't compared it with the grassland diet, but I think the ingredients are almost the same. The forest had more since forest species have fruits in their pellets.

samstar

5 Year Member
fifthdawn said:
I got bored and compared the ingredients of Mazuri and Zoomeds. I compared the list with ZooMed's Forest diet.

Suncured Timothy Hay, Fish Meal, Dried Papaya, Dried Mango, Escarole, Endive, saPaprika Extract, Dried Dandelion Greens, Sodium Bicarbonate, Soy Lecithin, Direct-Fed Microorganisms (Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei, Bifidobacterium bifidum, Enterococcus faecium, and Aspergillus oryzae), , Dried Saccharomyces Cerevisiae Fermentation Solubles, Hydrated Sodium Calcium Aluminosilicate, Garlic Extract, Anise Extract, Chinese Cassia Bark Extract, Ginger Extract, Horseradish, Juniper Extract, Natural Flavoring, Yucca schidigera, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of stabilized Vitamin C), Rosemary Extract, Ascorbic Acid, Citric Acid, Silicon Dioxide, Niacin Supplement,

Ground corn. Ground oat, soy bean oil, salt, L-lysine, nicotinic acid, colbalt carbinate,

The items that they both had, I just crossed it off the list. Keep it mind this isn't exactly accurate. I cross off stuff that had similar name. Ex, Ground Soybean and Suncured Soybean. I considered them the same. Others were were different elements but purpose was both to provide Vit A, so I crossed those out as well. I think there were also stuff like zinc carbonate and zinc oxide, though I probably shouldn't but you get the idea of stuff I crossed out.

I'm starting to like what I see in the ZooMed pellets. I haven't compared it with the grassland diet, but I think the ingredients are almost the same. The forest had more since forest species have fruits in their pellets.

Thanks! The Zoomed seems interesting..

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
Please post your results after a few years.

fifthdawn said:

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
Livingstone is the same, loves mazuri. I always soak it into a porridge consistency, he inhales it.

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I have fed redfoots some of this before...mixed with little mazuri. I would only feed like once or twice a week though

Status
Not open for further replies.