ZooMed Grassland Tortoise Food

Status
Not open for further replies.

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
This is the argument I use... if you haven't used it you're against it and it has nothing to do with knowing what the product will do.

I believe the zoomed diet is a marketing gimmick. I don't think too much research has gone into it. I've been following pelleted diets for about 15 years... never heard of the Zoomed diet until a couple of years ago.

maggie3fan said:
I don't understand you saying you want to feed a more natural diet...and that's pellets? I ain't never seen any tortoise in the wild chase down a jar of a commercially pelleted food products and get the jar open. I had never believed in feeding that stuff. But last winter I was given 20 pounds of Mazuri and started feeding it to Bob once a week or so. Because it was winter and that means that he's stuck inside for 7 months and he's eating grocery store greens and hay his poop was pretty soft. But when I started feeding the Mazuri his poop firmed right up. I use it as a supplement, only one of my tortoises won't eat it, and now my little Queenie won't eat anything but the Mazuri. When I first got her she ate anything green and grazed really good. But I gave her 4 Mazuri pellets one feeding and nowI am in a struggle to make her graze or eat anything green. She LOVES Mazuri. So I'm in a contest of wills with her. I am afraid she will win...

Madortoise

5 Year Member
My husband brought it home one day and we tried giving it to my DT but she won't touch it, dry, wet or mixed with something fresh. She's pretty finicky about something new so we'll try again but I don't feel a need to push it down her throat since she has a pretty good varied diet already. The label says it corrects fiber and protein levels for normal growth and proper shell development...hmmm... it contains chopped grasses...ok....contains nutritious Dandelion Greens, Yucca, and other plants that tortoise love...yeah yeah, I can give her fresh ones...contains a source of live viable naturally occurring microorganisms...that could mean anything, really.

Madortoise

5 Year Member
Oh, to chop up some small amount of hay to sprinkle over other food, using a pair of scissors for herbs (has multiple blades) works great.

I

Italianlnm

I have some of the Zoo Med but Tank or Bullet won't touch it.. I put it in there and they go to their hiding place.

I just found a website where you can buy Mazuri buy the pound and I am going to buy a pound or two, and give it to them once a week.

siwash

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Toronto
Do you know if they ship? Can you please post the link to the site, Italianlnm... thank you!!

Traveller

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
siwash said:
Do you know if they ship? Can you please post the link to the site, Italianlnm... thank you!!

Hiya siwash. I just bought a 25lb bag of mazuri from Ren's in Aberfoyle, Ontario. They also sell 1lb bags.
I can send you some but will have to calculate the shipping.
You might try posting on the Canadiansite for reptiles, that's how I got my first sample to try.
I'm sure there are people in TO that use the diet.
If you'd like the info on Ren's depot pm me.
cheers

siwash

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Toronto
Italianlnm said:
I have some of the Zoo Med but Tank or Bullet won't touch it.. I put it in there and they go to their hiding place.

I just found a website where you can buy Mazuri buy the pound and I am going to buy a pound or two, and give it to them once a week.

Traveller said:
siwash said:

Hiya siwash. I just bought a 25lb bag of mazuri from Ren's in Aberfoyle, Ontario. They also sell 1lb bags.
You might try posting on the Canadiansite for reptiles, that's how I got my first sample to try.
cheers

Hey that sounds great... if you could look into the cost, I would gladly pay for a pound... let me know...

I wonder if that company ships?

thanks!!

I just went to their site... apparently they also have an Oakville location... both are not too far from me...But I'm a little confused.. it appears to be a dog/cat type place...grooming etc. Are we talking about the same "RENS" ??

Traveller

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
siwash said:
Italianlnm said:

Traveller said:
siwash said:

cheers

Hey that sounds great... if you could look into the cost, I would gladly pay for a pound... let me know...

I wonder if that company ships?

thanks!!

I just went to their site... apparently they also have an Oakville location... both are not too far from me...But I'm a little confused.. it appears to be a dog/cat type place...grooming etc. Are we talking about the same "RENS" ??

Yep that's the place.
The specialty diets are not on the website for some reason.
incoming pm

way2gfy

5 Year Member
I feed my DT this and he likes it very much. He didn't eat anything for the first week and then I finally got him to eat this stuff and some Wheat Grass. He gets Marigold, Dahlia and Hibiscus as well and he does some grazing too.

(Still) In the process of doing a pen for him in the backyard. Then I will be planting some Grazing Tortoise Seed from Carolina Pet Supply.

cuppidsarrows

5 Year Member
Thousand oaks, Ca
Yeah my little ones wont eat it alone but if I sprinkle it over their greens they don't even notice that its there. Its a really neat product.

GumbyGoat22

5 Year Member
dannomite said:
Hey everyone, I was wondering what your thoughts were on the ZooMed Grassland Tortoise Food. I bought some for my Baby Sulcata as part of his diet until its nice enough to get him outside grazing.

Here is the URL. To me it seems like it has the right Fibre/Protein amounts. I know a lot of sites like Sulcata Station state that you shouldn't feed any commercial Tortoise foods and I can see why when I look at a lot of the other ones they have too much Protein but this one seems specialized for these Torts so I was wondering if its all marketing or if the food seems legit? I soak it with water and it gets very moist and smells nice and grassy.

Zoo Med Grassland Tortoise Food

my russian tortoise, elle, loves it! i mix a little bit of that with her greens. it adds a nice touch and a bit of extra fiber. i add timothy hay, too. i usually just wet the zoomed, chop the kale/collards/whatever greens i'm usuing at the time, sprinkle some calcium d3 powers, take a little timothy hay, and toss it all together and BOOM- she chows it

samstar

5 Year Member
Today I fed my stars just Mazuri tortoise food and they finished every bit of it. Tomorrow I will mix Mazuro with hibiscus and a touch of calcium powder.

brymanda

5 Year Member
Florida
I did some "research" on pellets at the Reptile Expo in Daytona by asking around about people's opinions. Mazuri was apparently developed for Galapagos in zoos, but it contains a decent amount of protein so you need to be careful when feeding it to desert tortoises. I can't speak about the zoomed grassland tortoise diet, since I have redfoots, but I have the zoomed forest tortoise diet, which was recommended to me, and after turning their noses up at it for a few weeks, (I always have a couple pellets in the enclosure), my torts decided they love it and now they devour it (I dip it in their water bowl before putting it on their plate and it actually expands visually). That said, I use the pellets as kind of a side item to their regular greens and fruits and stuff. It's also nice as a "going out of town" food.

samstar

5 Year Member
brymanda said:
I did some "research" on pellets at the Reptile Expo in Daytona by asking around about people's opinions. Mazuri was apparently developed for Galapagos in zoos, but it contains a decent amount of protein so you need to be careful when feeding it to desert tortoises. I can't speak about the zoomed grassland tortoise diet, since I have redfoots, but I have the zoomed forest tortoise diet, which was recommended to me, and after turning their noses up at it for a few weeks, (I always have a couple pellets in the enclosure), my torts decided they love it and now they devour it (I dip it in their water bowl before putting it on their plate and it actually expands visually). That said, I use the pellets as kind of a side item to their regular greens and fruits and stuff. It's also nice as a "going out of town" food.

Pardon my ignorance but is the Star tortoise considered a desert tortoise? I feed mine Mazuri mix with vegetables everyday.

Starry night

5 Year Member
I think I have some of the most odd tortoises. They will not touch mazuri or that zoo med crap. I have fed them Repcal and they eat that stuff up like crazy. I only give them this about once a week and then feed them greens with which I add chopped grasses to. I use TNT and calcium 3 times a week and seems to be doing good so far.

galvinkaos

5 Year Member
Temple City, Ca
I used the Zoomed when I was going to be out of town a few days. It doesn't wilt and dry out like spring mix, so I can leave a large amount for them and not worry for a day or two. I also have started adding a hay pile in their table if I am leaving for more than overnight. Doris and Maude demolish any food I give them. When we were having nice weekends and I was home I was putting them out in their enclosure and they hunted down every new weed that had sprouted since the last time they visited.

Dawna

Status
Not open for further replies.