ZooMed Grassland Tortoise Food

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soccerplr1

5 Year Member
Looking for advice on incorporating retail tortoise food into 6 month-old Sulcat (Hatch) diet...

Over the last month or so that I have had Hatch he has had a fairly regular diet of:

2-3 ZooMed Grassland Tortoise food pellets (soaked) + 1/4 Hibiscus leaf or Dandelion greens or Geranium + sliced Nopales (cactus) + various fresh grass sprouts.

This is chopped and mixed into a "salad" that is supplemented with Vitamin D powder 2x weekly.

The constants are:
ZooMed Grassland Tortoise Pellets
Cactus
Fresh Grass Sprouts

The variables (for variety) are:
Dandelion, hibiscus, geranium

Questions:

what are the thoughts on the ZooMed Pellets? I have not seen a lot of discussion about them for baby sulcatas.

I am trying Mazuri next week. Is it better / worse?

Do retail pellets *need* to be a part of the reglar diet?

Thank you!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
Between Mazuri and Grassland pellets it isn't a "better or worse" comparison. They are both good and offer different variety.
I use both.

They don't need to be part of the diet but many use them to supplement the fresh greens of a diet.

All part of variety.
The more the better.
I feed so many different things I can't even write it all out!

Heather
Sent from my Android TFO app

theelectraco

5 Year Member
I feed both also. I have been mixing the zoo med ones in for 6 months and now he will eat them by thenselves. The mazuri i started a few months ago and he loves it and took to it right away. They are both good, however i prefer the zoo med ones. They are both fine as a part of varied diet.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using TortForum mobile app

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Orange County, So Cal
Both are supplements and as part of a varied diet, both are good. My little Greeks did not take to Grassland right away though. I had to mix it in with things they love at first, like a strawberry. Otherwise, it was "bleh" and they walked away. Nothing like nature made growing things. Like my farmer grandpa used to say "If man made it, even German man (that whole German engineering thing), don't trust it. Nature bats first and last." I thought he was cuckoo clock back then. Not any more. He be right on. : )

Soccerplr1

5 Year Member
Glad to hear there is not much of a difference or any landslide opinions on the subject. Suppose I am lucky that Hatch likes the ZooMed. He always gets a variety of fresh greens as well.

jaketheskate

5 Year Member
What about rep-cal tortoise food??? I have always fed that as a supplement an my Russian loves it... : /

abclements

5 Year Member
Rep-cal tortoise food doesn't match up to Mazuri or the zoomed stuff. As a supplement, I'm sure it's ok... but I would highly consider switching to Mazuri or zoomed, or both as your supplemental diet instead.

Sent from my LG-P769 using TortForum mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.