ZooMed reptifogger

Kathy Coles

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
North Carolina
I had heard that all foggers don't last very long. Mine was working fine, until it didn't. It lasted about 1 year. When it worked it was great. Now I think this is just one of the expenses of having a red foot tortoise. So I am budgeting about $70 a year for this feature to Zebulun's enclosure. My Zeb started pyramiding shortly after I got her. And I knew about the importance of humidity from this forum. Achieving the humidity, that was another thing. Someone here is trying to build his own unit with a 5 gallon bucket. I'm gonna try to follow that thread. (not computer savy)

TMartin510

Fremont, California
I use the fogger too, works good so far, my redfoot seems to like it alot and is curious and searches where it comes from lol. It's cool it flows right past the door to his hide probably making it feel more like home. I think it's worth It in my opinion.

Aunt Caffy

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Texas
I use a House of Hydro three head mist maker in a 5-gallon bucket with a waterproof fan to push the most into the enclosure. Before the mist maker came on this morning, humidity was around 45%. After four hours of the mist maker being on, humidity was at 90%. This is in an imperfectly sealed 4 foot by 4 foot greenhouse.

I also had a Zoo Med repti fogger (highest humidity provided by this was 65%). Mine lasted around six months with there being less than 10% humidity increase provided by the fogger at the end. I've had the House of Hydro mist maker going for about a month. I'm hoping it lasts a good long while.

Rutibegga

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
I bought one and haven't had to use it. So far, the humidity is too high in Trogdor's enclosure: it hovers around 90%. I've taken to leaving the enclosure lid cracked about an inch to take it down to 80ish. Hoping the plants suck up some of the moisture and even things out before mold takes over.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Look into a mistking. More expensive up front, but will last a whole lot longer. They also have the best timer. Can set it to go off minutes apart if you wanted. I also tried the repti fogger, first one last maybe a month, can't quite remember, but very short time. Took it back and the second one lasted maybe 2-3times longer then the first and then quit. That's when I looked into the mistking. I use it for my chameleon.

Aunt Caffy

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Texas
I bought one and haven't had to use it. So far, the humidity is too high in Trogdor's enclosure: it hovers around 90%. I've taken to leaving the enclosure lid cracked about an inch to take it down to 80ish. Hoping the plants suck up some of the moisture and even things out before mold takes over.
I had mold in my enclosure while I was getting it set up before I got Rowan. I picked out as much as I could then put roly poly bugs (pill bugs) in there. I haven't had mold since then.

Rutibegga

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
I had mold in my enclosure while I was getting it set up before I got Rowan. I picked out as much as I could then put roly poly bugs (pill bugs) in there. I haven't had mold since then.

Hmmm... Interesting. Would they be safe if a tiny but inquisitive tort ate them? I've read that insects with "armor" can get lodged in torts' throats.

Aunt Caffy

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Texas
Hmmm... Interesting. Would they be safe if a tiny but inquisitive tort ate them? I've read that insects with "armor" can get lodged in torts' throats.
I looked at a couple of different sites to answer your question, and it looks like tortoises can eat them. I don't know if my Rowan ever has done so, but they've been in the enclosure with him this past year and not caused any problems I know of.

Rutibegga

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
I looked at a couple of different sites to answer your question, and it looks like tortoises can eat them. I don't know if my Rowan ever has done so, but they've been in the enclosure with him this past year and not caused any problems I know of.

Cool, thanks! Did you purchase them or just go gather some? I was just considering getting Troggy some waxworms or something for his monthly protein meal.

Aunt Caffy

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Texas
Cool, thanks! Did you purchase them or just go gather some? I was just considering getting Troggy some waxworms or something for his monthly protein meal.
I asked a friend to get some for me from his yard. He brought me a whole bunch. The little buggers have been reproducing, too. But there never seem to be too many. I wouldn't be surprised if my little tort was stalking and eating them.

Wolfen

5 Year Member
Los Angeles
I use a House of Hydro three head mist maker in a 5-gallon bucket with a waterproof fan to push the most into the enclosure. Before the mist maker came on this morning, humidity was around 45%. After four hours of the mist maker being on, humidity was at 90%. This is in an imperfectly sealed 4 foot by 4 foot greenhouse.

I also had a Zoo Med repti fogger (highest humidity provided by this was 65%). Mine lasted around six months with there being less than 10% humidity increase provided by the fogger at the end. I've had the House of Hydro mist maker going for about a month. I'm hoping it lasts a good long while.
Update on the mist maker?

Aunt Caffy

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Texas
Update on the mist maker?
I ended up going through two House of Hydro setups. I may have done something wrong because they only lasted about one year each time.

I bought an Evergreen pet supplies fogger, which is cheaper, quieter, and is still running after almost three years. It doesn’t have near the output though. CDDAA9F6-1B81-4828-83E3-F6D2D7D153DA.pngCDDAA9F6-1B81-4828-83E3-F6D2D7D153DA.png

Wolfen

5 Year Member
Los Angeles
I ended up going through two House of Hydro setups. I may have done something wrong because they only lasted about one year each time.

I bought an Evergreen pet supplies fogger, which is cheaper, quieter, and is still running after almost three years. It doesn’t have near the output though. View attachment 307887View attachment 307887
Did you use filtered water or straight tap water?

Aunt Caffy

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Texas
Did you use filtered water or straight tap water?
I use distilled water. I have a small distillation unit that I bought on Amazon for that very purpose. I’ve had it for almost three years now. 6A13C34F-BF20-49C6-8168-1AF94432A6DB.jpeg

Dankneepowpow

Honolulu
I just installed a fogger in my enclosure. I went with a Vick’s indoor humidifier. My dad had one when I was younger that he used during allergy season. I remember he had the same one for years and it never broke down on him, he might even still have it honestly. He always used tap water and it was very minimal maintenance if any at all.

I was surprised to hear about all the issues people were having with foggers designed for reptiles, maybe the ones designed for human use need to pass stricter guidelines?

anyways I just grabbed one from Walmart for about $40 and put a hose in it and rigged it up to my enclosure. So far it works like a charm!
948FEDAE-F8D4-4B1C-976C-A5121AC11C17.jpeg
529AACA5-02A3-4594-BA6D-6A94AF666BA5.jpeg

Wolfen

5 Year Member
Los Angeles
I just installed a fogger in my enclosure. I went with a Vick’s indoor humidifier. My dad had one when I was younger that he used during allergy season. I remember he had the same one for years and it never broke down on him, he might even still have it honestly. He always used tap water and it was very minimal maintenance if any at all.

I was surprised to hear about all the issues people were having with foggers designed for reptiles, maybe the ones designed for human use need to pass stricter guidelines?

anyways I just grabbed one from Walmart for about $40 and put a hose in it and rigged it up to my enclosure. So far it works like a charm!
View attachment 308287
View attachment 308288

Maybe you live in an area that the water is soft