zovick

10 Year Member!
UPDATE: So my Solarmeter came today, and as predicted, the readings were too low. I've ordered a new HO bulb, but will my tort be ok for a few more days without much UV?

Also, it's my understanding that I need to strive for 3.0-3.4 for my RT, but what reading would be the limit before it becomes harmful? I run the UV 13 hrs a day and I don't want to overdo it.

When I tried readings of 5.5 on my baby Radiated Tortoises, the tortoises tried to get away from the light. They literally lined up along the sides of the enclosure as far from the direct light as possible because they got too hot. Using 3.3 readings, they get under the lights and bask normally, so I would try that reading and gradually increase it as the tortoise gets larger. Or don't bother to increase it and just leave it the same, because I think it (3.3) is a very good amount of UV for most tortoises.

margosha

Location (City and/or State)
Cleveland, OH
What are you going to do to rectify it? Will you buy a different bulb or will you change the way you hang it? I’m looking at different options at the moment of maybe lowering it slightly. I also don’t have a reflector so I’ve just ordered one.

Because of how my tank is, I can't really lower it. Plus, I'd have to lower it quite significantly for it to matter, so I'm going with trying out the Reptisun T5 HO 10.0 bulb. I initially ordered one, but then got scared about waiting that long, so I called a local herp shop and they have one in stock (with a hood!) that they're holding for me. So I'll know tonight, and I can post my findings. Maybe they'll be helpful as a loose reference?

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
Because of how my tank is, I can't really lower it. Plus, I'd have to lower it quite significantly for it to matter, so I'm going with trying out the Reptisun T5 HO 10.0 bulb. I initially ordered one, but then got scared about waiting that long, so I called a local herp shop and they have one in stock (with a hood!) that they're holding for me. So I'll know tonight, and I can post my findings. Maybe they'll be helpful as a loose reference?

I’d be interested to know the difference in your readings. I’m not great with the technical stuff. I use the T8 tube but I believe the T5 is better, but in the U.K. the majority in the shops are T8.

I’ve got an idea how I can lower mine with some chain. I might look into it.

margosha

Cleveland, OH
I’d be interested to know the difference in your readings. I’m not great with the technical stuff. I use the T8 tube but I believe the T5 is better, but in the U.K. the majority in the shops are T8.

I’ve got an idea how I can lower mine with some chain. I might look into it.

This website helped me with understanding a lot of that stuff: http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/bulbs/fluorescent-uvb/

From what I can tell, I think the T8 technology is just outdated at this point.

Also, I could be wrong, but I think the Arcadia bulbs are more prominent in the U.K. If so, I would definitely look into it. From what I've read, they're great bulbs!

Joetheyido

UK London
Try and make sure they have somewhere they can go to get away from uv and light just incase it is to much. Then gauge it from the reation of the tortoise, weather it's out alot or not.

I wouldn't even try and go round shops in UK, I tried that recently around south east and they didnt have many t5s in store and if they did they was alot more expensive. Arcadia seem to be a little more popular, I have t5 12% and 6% and mvb bulb and allways been pretty good bulbs.

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
Try and make sure they have somewhere they can go to get away from uv and light just incase it is to much. Then gauge it from the reation of the tortoise, weather it's out alot or not.

I wouldn't even try and go round shops in UK, I tried that recently around south east and they didnt have many t5s in store and if they did they was alot more expensive. Arcadia seem to be a little more popular, I have t5 12% and 6% and mvb bulb and allways been pretty good bulbs.

My UVB stretches across 3/4 of my viv then the last 1/4 is covered by the basking lamp. I do have a dark hide, is that enough cover.

(Sorry for hijacking this thread)

Joetheyido

UK London
My UVB stretches across 3/4 of my viv then the last 1/4 is covered by the basking lamp. I do have a dark hide, is that enough cover.

(Sorry for hijacking this thread)
As long as there's a bit that they can hide and get out of the uv should be fine. I have a black tub one end and a wooden Ikea thing at the other. My tube does 4ft out of 6

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
As long as there's a bit that they can hide and get out of the uv should be fine. I have a black tub one end and a wooden Ikea thing at the other. My tube does 4ft out of 6

Thanks that’s reassuring. I’m going to try and get more plants in there ASAP and maybe another hide at the other end.

margosha

Cleveland, OH
New light is installed and running! The reading is right around 3.5 at shell distance directly under the light. Thank you everyone that helped me get this right!