zoomed tortoise house for baby red foot?

captain

Location (City and/or State)
Ontario
Right now my little guy red footed (4 months old) is in his fix up in a container and i have got the heat up to 90 but the humidity isn't stable, would it be worth to invest in a zoo med tortoise house? will it keep the heat and the humidity in because its basically closed off? and I can always buy another and attach it when he grows correct? Or should i just continue with his container??

also, i have a 50 gallon tank with a screen top, i don't really wanna use it for his habitat but what are your opinions on using it since it has the screen lid would it keep in heat and humidity more?

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Whatever you use, you want to cover most of the top, to hold the humidity in.
People use a sweaterbox, Rubbermaid container, aquarium. If you use the aquarium, I would put something around the sides so he cannot see out and therefore want out. The glass will hold the humidity and I would cover the top.
Zoo Med is all wood making it much, much harder to hold humidity. You can save a lot of money doing one of the above or......
Others will answer. 😊

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
If you are talking about the wooden tort house, it would need to be lined with plastic to use it effectively with redfoots.
And they are open, so you would also need to put a solid cover to hold any humidity in.

LolaMyLove

10 Year Member!
Walnut Creek, Ca
If you mean the wooden ones then you would definitely have to close off the top as it is just a wire screen. With some modifications it would work for awhile but may add up in costs to do so.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
For the price of one of them zoo med enclosures you can build a nice setup for half the cost . If its a little red foot your 50 gallon tank will make an awesome enclosure . It will hold the humidity with out a problem . All you have to do is get something to cover the top . Set up your lights . You can get a Christmas tree box cheap right now at Home Depot . They make awesome enclosures too.

This is an old dresser and about a days work...

Waterproof liner
Plexiglass
Wood for the top

So far so good.ImageUploadedByTortForum1388716982.015200.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

captain

Ontario
Hi there love the enclosure, curious how you secured the plexiglass and the lamps??

Drilled small pilot holes and then screwed the plexiglass to the front. Use a few spare pieces as a test first. Plexiglass this thick can be very fragile and easily crack. The pilot holes help. And don't over tighten, it was also crack. There is a wood top with holes cut out (jig saw). Right now the lamps are just sitting there. Some type of fasteners are needed.

I also added another fixture for a CHE in the middle. This keeps it at about 75-80 throughout the night. (Other lights are off through the night)