ZooMed Tortoise Table for a Russian?

rockplayson

Location (City and/or State)
Boulder, Colorado
Hey guys,
I'm currently in the research stages of owning a tortoise. I know I want to have a Russian so I'm set on that.
My plan was to make a tort table (still want too) but when I was shopping at petsmart a little while ago I stumbled across The Zoomed Tortoise Table. I ended up getting it on clearance for $10.00. Anyway, I would like your opinions on it. I was thinking that if I could use this as a full time winter enclosure than I can use all the money I'd be spending on building an indoor tort table on the outside enclosure.

I checked out reviews and videos online and most people seem to be happy with it. You guys are the experts so tell me what you think.

Thanks,
Rock

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
If it is a hatching then yes . If it is an adult no . They need a lot of room or they will ram climb and drive you crazy . I would build a table . 2/6 foot or even better 4/8 foot .

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

rockplayson

Boulder, Colorado
Perfect thanks guys. I will continue with my tortoise table plans. Thankyou for the links they have been so helpful. :)

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I also have a Russian tortoise. I started out with one zoommed Tortoise house but decided it was too small so I bought another and connected the two. I'm not very good at building things I don't have the tools to do it so I could handle this project. I took out both of the hide dividers and replaced the solid cover on each end with plexiglass to let in more light. My enclosure has to be closed off because I have to indoor cats and a dog. The finished enclosure is 2' x 6' and my Tortoise stays in it during the winter. He has an outdoor enclosure for the rest of the year. Since I made it larger he does not scratch at the walls at all and seems to like it. I know that this is not the most economical way to go but it worked for me and my situation.

turtlegirl13

I built a 6x4 ft table and my Russian tortoise still rams the edges but, compared to her first small enclosure she rams a lot less! Building a tortoise table is pretty simple, mine took about a week. I would be happy to post photos if you need ideas! :)

rockplayson

Boulder, Colorado
Eeigti, I'm glad to here your Russian doesn't mind the extra space. :) I plan on keeping it anyway just incase I ever get two Russians I will always have room to quarentine.

Turtlegirl13, I would love too see your enclosure.