Zoos

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
This past weekend, I went to the Akron Zoo with my sister, because they had a fabulous deal on tickets and we had never been there before.
(The Akron Zoo, IMHO, is WAY better than the Cleveland Zoo, not in it's animals [The Clvland Zoo has way more] but in the care of some of it's inhabitants) The enclosures were big, open and very nice compared to some other zoos I've visited (anybody been to either one?) but this REALLY REALLY bothered me. So they had two Galapagos tortoises (I mean, why else would I have gone :p ) and the inside area was setup like a desert. Like, not kidding, full thrown dessert. Sand on the floor, NO plants except for these cacti that were out of the poor guys reach, a tiny, miniscule, water thing in the floor (it must have been a couple inches deep) and no hides! A nice thing about it was the guys had access to a small yard outdoors, but the fence was really bad. Like, think 'classic' pirate skip railing. With rope. Completely see through! Very shabby. I mean, With a little push those torts could have gotten lose in the zoo! There was okay shade in the yard, but no water. There was also a zoo employee there giving out info on them, and she told this guy who was asking all sorts of questions (his daughter adorably asked Where are his teeth?) and she told him they ate lettuce and some fruit. Lettuce. LETTUCE.
Oh yeah, the torts were very pyramided. So I was trying not be judgmental or anything, but I HAD to point that out, because it could be SO easily fixed!
And my sister said, ''Well, this is a zoo, so they know what they're doing. It's just the type of tortoise it is. The shell is SUPPOSED TO LOOK LIKE THAT.''
I felt really bad about those poor tortoises right then. That zoo is having a 'superiority' complex going on... They know everything better about them than the next guy, because they're A ZOO. Just because, they MUST know what best for them. They have been entrusted with two special, endangered animals to care for and watch out for, and they aren't doing a good job! It;s just like pet store! They 'know' so everyone will trust that that's just RIGHT. And I know that other zoos do that too. And then I felt very sad for all those other, special animals that were being treated without 'proper' care, like they had two komodo dragons, but not going to get into that. The other animals had great care, such as the big cats. Which made me wonder if they simply don't care enough about the tortoises to give them the respect they deserve. I mean, they'll probably still be alive when (as guille24 has pointed out) when their grand kids retire!
I know there are bunch of threads like this, but I had to point that out. And that just kinda made me hate that employee who couldn't care less.
Criticize it, and differing opinions welcome :D

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Oops, just realized this should probably be the Debate section... could a mod move it please?
Thank you :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Zoos have to have certain size habitats for their animals according to the AZA rules. But it has been my experience that they don't necessarily need to really know how to care for the animals. I'm not talking about diets, etc. Most zoos go way above and beyond when it comes to food enrichment. But I mean about mixing species or even types of animals. Our zoo has emus (from Australia) in with the Galapagos tortoises - just one example. Have you ever seen emu poop? Its a big muddy pile of uck. And the tortoises have to graze on the grass that's been pooped on by those big birds. They also have sulcatas in with Manouria. I suppose I could probably go on and on, but you get the picture.

I think that AZA approved zoos do a pretty good job of caring for the animals, I just wish the keepers would learn more about the actual animals in their care.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
An animal in a pet store is hopefully there for a short time, then goes on to a better home. Zoo animals are there for their entire lives. I know they have off display areas (the lucky ones any how), but not always sure those areas are any better. The worse part is what it teaches the public. I do also understand there is no way a zoo can have all it's animals in large enough enclosures, with heavy enough plantings or hide spots and still give the public (who buys the tickets and donates the money to run the zoo) what they want to see.