Zucchini?

Darwin_T

5 Year Member
As an attempt to vary Darwin's (my Greek's) diet, I fed him zucchini. He gobbled it down and left no trace and I just wanted to check and make sure that this was something that is safe for him to eat and how often he should eat this. I have just fe it to him again and he is munching it down.

Anything would be great.
Thanks

pfara

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Always keep food as varied as possible. This serves 2 reasons (off the top of my head): 1) Different foods can balance out dietary needs for overall health; 2) Keeps your tort from only eating his "favorites". So pretty much I'd give him small amounts of zucchini every so often as long as you provide other greens with it.

Darwin_T

5 Year Member
Just one slice? That seems kinda low, I give him around 5

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
This is a food that torts seem to really love....to me it is good as a wet food that offers some hydration and it has a few good minerals...not a winner on the scale of ultra nutritious vitamin rich foods...but still a good treat (I would not offer alot due to it seems to equate to tort crack and the tort may hold off on consuming good for him stuff for the feel good fix)...

I would imagine if you keep an eye on his eating of other foods and all seems good then go for it...

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/3019/2

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Zucchini is crack as far as my CDTs are concerned. If it were up to them they'd get it every day. Since it's more water than nutrients, I try to use it more as a hydration source than anything else. During the hottest part of the summer I feed it twice a week. Less often when it's not as hot.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Darwin_T said:
Just one slice? That seems kinda low, I give him around 5

He should be eating mostly weeds, leaves and leafy greens. Filling his stomach with food that has little nutrition or fiber, like zucchini, is not a good idea.