Zumi

Marizna

Hello!
I wanted to introduce my new baby leopard tortoise, Zumi.

I’m not new to the forum; I had a baby sulcata a few years ago, but unfortunately we got him from a pet store and he went downhill and didn’t last very long. I was too upset to try again for awhile so I stopped getting on the forum.

I decided I was ready again and just got my new baby last week. I’m determined to do everything right this time. I got her from somebody on here so I wouldn’t have the same heartbreak as last time.

I call her a “she” because I have my fingers crossed that’s what I’ll end up with, but of course I’ll love her even if she ends up being male. [emoji1]

She is in a closed chamber. She is on a mix of cypress mulch and coco coir. The “warm” side stays in the 90s during the day with a basking spot at 100. The humidity is in the 80/90% range. the “cool” side is under a che on a thermostat set on 84 degrees and it lets it drop to 81 before kicking on again. She sleeps in her humid hide under the che. I’m using a 65w incandescent flood for the basking bulb and a 10.0 tube uvb light. The lights are on timers. The flood light turns on around 8am and goes off at 8pm. Then the uvb comes on around 9:30ish am and goes off at 5:30ish.
I am soaking every day for 30 minutes.

The only thing I can’t provide at the moment is outside time because we live in a townhouse and the yard area is shared by dogs (ours and neighbors’). This will be changed in August when our lease is up and we can purchase a home.
Right now I am getting my weeds and grass from my mom’s yard. I visit her often anyways so I just pick enough to store in the fridge for a couple of days. Zumi eats anything I put down in front of her.
I just need to get better at IDing weeds since I didn’t really get the opportunity to do that with my last tortoise.

I’m keeping a log of her growth and I’ll probably update this thread with her weight and growth pictures once a month. Now that I’ve typed an essay, here is a pic of my baby!

IMG_1233.JPG

IMG_1151.JPG

IMG_1242.JPG

Jay Bagley

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Hello!
I wanted to introduce my new baby leopard tortoise, Zumi.

I’m not new to the forum; I had a baby sulcata a few years ago, but unfortunately we got him from a pet store and he went downhill and didn’t last very long. I was too upset to try again for awhile so I stopped getting on the forum.

I decided I was ready again and just got my new baby last week. I’m determined to do everything right this time. I got her from somebody on here so I wouldn’t have the same heartbreak as last time.

I call her a “she” because I have my fingers crossed that’s what I’ll end up with, but of course I’ll love her even if she ends up being male. [emoji1]

She is in a closed chamber. She is on a mix of cypress mulch and coco coir. The “warm” side stays in the 90s during the day with a basking spot at 100. The humidity is in the 80/90% range. the “cool” side is under a che on a thermostat set on 84 degrees and it lets it drop to 81 before kicking on again. She sleeps in her humid hide under the che. I’m using a 65w incandescent flood for the basking bulb and a 10.0 tube uvb light. The lights are on timers. The flood light turns on around 8am and goes off at 8pm. Then the uvb comes on around 9:30ish am and goes off at 5:30ish.
I am soaking every day for 30 minutes.

The only thing I can’t provide at the moment is outside time because we live in a townhouse and the yard area is shared by dogs (ours and neighbors’). This will be changed in August when our lease is up and we can purchase a home.
Right now I am getting my weeds and grass from my mom’s yard. I visit her often anyways so I just pick enough to store in the fridge for a couple of days. Zumi eats anything I put down in front of her.
I just need to get better at IDing weeds since I didn’t really get the opportunity to do that with my last tortoise.

I’m keeping a log of her growth and I’ll probably update this thread with her weight and growth pictures once a month. Now that I’ve typed an essay, here is a pic of my baby!

View attachment 235077

View attachment 235078

View attachment 235079
Sorry you didn't have very good luck with your last baby. Your new one is adorable.

N

no one

Glad you got another Tortoise again after you lost your sully. I know what that feels like. But Welcome to the forum again!! And good luck with your little Zumi.

Marizna

I’ve had little Zu for 1 month today!
The first couple weeks that I had her, her weight hovered around 52 grams. When I weighed her on Wednesday she was at 62, finally! I guess she was just settling in. [emoji846] She’s always waiting in her food dish when the lights come on in the morning. IMG_1573.JPGIMG_1571.JPGIMG_1581.JPGIMG_1580.JPG

daniellenc

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
She is gorgeous!! I love leopards and they were my first choice but living in Maryland I knew I couldn’t provide indoor housing big enough and went with a redfoot. I hope one to have more room cough cough when my teens move out lol