Calling all PET SNAIL people

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Jersey
Hello there everybody,

It has been brought to my attention that we have another snail 🐌 guest in the tortoise forum and he is requesting online friends.
He comes from Finland and his owner
“The four toed Edward” is representing him and his brother “Edward” the tortoise.
May I be the first to say a BIIIIGGGG
HI 👋 and Hello! From New Jersey!
Welcome to the forum and please post more pictures of my new best friend and his brother soooon!!!!

❤️🐌🌈 —slurp! 🐌

Attachments

• IMG_6016.jpeg
    IMG_6016.jpeg
    667 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6014.jpeg
    IMG_6014.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5920.jpeg
    IMG_5920.jpeg
    1,018.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5915.jpeg
    IMG_5915.jpeg
    964 KB · Views: 2

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I don't have a pet snail but I do feed the snails in my garden. They really make quite a noise when they're all chomping on a lettuce leaf and its surprising how they pick up on the scent and head towards it.
Did you know you should never wrench a snail off a surface because you can hurt them, so best to tap the shell lightly first - or spray with a little water.

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
I am honored to have you spreading the message!

I got two achatina iradaleis in 2020, one of them unfortunately passed away last year. I haven't been able to find a new friend for the remaining one since the species is quite rare here in Finland. Here are some baby photos of them (taken the day I got them) and one newer photos of the remaining one (I have been calling them Niilo, which is a Finnish name):IMG_20201212_140010.jpg20220405_112312.jpgIMG_20201215_140549.jpg

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
I don't have a pet snail but I do feed the snails in my garden. They really make quite a noise when they're all chomping on a lettuce leaf and its surprising how they pick up on the scent and head towards it.
Did you know you should never wrench a snail off a surface because you can hurt them, so best to tap the shell lightly first - or spray with a little water.
I have a soft spot in my heart for native snails too. We have two native snail species in our garden, Amber snails (Succinea putris) and Disk snails (Discus ruderatus), but I unfortunately can't feed them since we have a problem with the invasive copse snails (Arianta arbustorum) in our area and I don't want to benefit them any further. They have spread further north here in Finland due to climate change and the garden plant trade. They have no natural predators and cause harm both in gardens and natural eco systems. Because of these snails bad reputation most people just get rid of all snails in their garden not knowing better, using chemicals etc.

But my favorite snail species found in Finland is also non native, but it isn't invasive or harmful here. it is the Roman snail (Helix pomatia) that can be found around the area where my family's summer cottage is located. They were brought in Finland during the middle ages and grown for food in monasteries. Today they are quite rare since they don't do that well in our climate. Unfortunately some people have also tried to get rid of them in their gardens, mistaking them for copse snails.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I know very little about snails, although there are lots of them in my garden/yard. How long do they live?

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
I know very little about snails, although there are lots of them in my garden/yard. How long do they live?
Less than tortoises, most giant African land snail species live up to 5 to 15 years, but some can even live up to 25. Helix pomatia lives about the same. But actually, one of the reasons I picked the iradalei species is because they have a shorter lifespan of 2 to 5 years. At 4 years of age Niilo is starting to reach his life expectancy.

I don't know what snails you have in your garden, but even smaller snails can have a life expectancy of over 10 years.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I can't say I am crazy about them, but I don't spray my vegetable garden or yard to kill them, and I try to avoid stepping on them. They manage to get about 5 percent of my vegetables! That's ok with me. I didn't know that they could live so long.

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
I can't say I am crazy about them, but I don't spray my vegetable garden or yard to kill them, and I try to avoid stepping on them. They manage to get about 5 percent of my vegetables! That's ok with me. I didn't know that they could live so long.
Yeah, I only try to get rid of the invasive snails, but the snails that are native were probably here first so they can stay :D

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I have a soft spot in my heart for native snails too. We have two native snail species in our garden, Amber snails (Succinea putris) and Disk snails (Discus ruderatus), but I unfortunately can't feed them since we have a problem with the invasive copse snails (Arianta arbustorum) in our area and I don't want to benefit them any further. They have spread further north here in Finland due to climate change and the garden plant trade. They have no natural predators and cause harm both in gardens and natural eco systems. Because of these snails bad reputation most people just get rid of all snails in their garden not knowing better, using chemicals etc.

But my favorite snail species found in Finland is also non native, but it isn't invasive or harmful here. it is the Roman snail (Helix pomatia) that can be found around the area where my family's summer cottage is located. They were brought in Finland during the middle ages and grown for food in monasteries. Today they are quite rare since they don't do that well in our climate. Unfortunately some people have also tried to get rid of them in their gardens, mistaking them for copse snails.
So sad when people use chemicals it affects the whole food chain.:(

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
That looks like the snails in my garden! They sure get around. Lol. "I get around..."! The song playing in my head now and probably for the rest of the day.

JoJosMom

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake, CA
I must say Snails are an amazing creature! I love them :) Cool pets to have, not sure if I could willfully feed it to anything, BUT, I do understand the circle of life so I am sure I would if I had to. Thanks for sharing guys, super cool

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
I must say Snails are an amazing creature! I love them :) Cool pets to have, not sure if I could willfully feed it to anything, BUT, I do understand the circle of life so I am sure I would if I had to. Thanks for sharing guys, super cool
This is really the reason why I went for a Russian tortoise instead of other tortoises/reptiles that might require feeder insects/animals. Even my isopod farm is a pet, not grown for food :)

Part of keeping snails and other invertebrates is that some find them disgusting or less worthy compared to other pets. This sometimes goes with tortoises too and any other less popular pet... My parents were surprised that they could find Edward cute even though he is not a mammal.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
My pet snails are in my aquarium. I have 2 rabbit snails, a handful of Malaysian trumpet snails, and some ramshorns. I know a lot of people don't like snails in their aquariums, but for me it's just not complete unless they're there.
I too have ramshorn snails in my fish tank.

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
My pet snails are in my aquarium. I have 2 rabbit snails, a handful of Malaysian trumpet snails, and some ramshorns. I know a lot of people don't like snails in their aquariums, but for me it's just not complete unless they're there.
I need to see AAALLLL OF THAT please! 🙏