How to treat outdoor enclosure wood?

texastort17

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Hello all!

I previously bought a rabbit hutch to put inside her outdoor enclosure and my tort loves to tuck herself in at night. The thing has lasted longer than I thought it would and worked really well. However, we got a ton of rain last year so after two years I’m now having to buy a new one—not a huge deal, but I was wondering if anyone had advice on how to treat the wood to help it last longer? It’s currently down pouring here (Texas) and I want to make sure this one lasts as well. I’ll include the photo and link to it!

PawHut Small Wooden Rabbit Hutch Bunny Cage Guinea Pig Cage Duck House Dog House with Openable & Waterproof Roof, Natural https://a.co/d/fanboF3

Attachments

• IMG_2010.jpeg
    IMG_2010.jpeg
    76.7 KB · Views: 1

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have one made out of similar wood. I sealed it with clear FlexSeal, a gallon is about 80 bucks. It sits out in the Chicago weather year round. It's going on around 5-6 years now. I only did the outside. If I were to do it again, I would also do the inside
Any sealer would work though, just have to be use it's completely dried and aired out before letting your tort be in it.