My dog found him!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Medusa

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Utah
My name is Jenifer and I live in Northern Utah. About two weeks ago, I was outside with my son when my dog had this turtle in her mouth. I'm the proud rescuer of a young male russian tortiose! He's been to the vet and is now in a 50 gal. tote with bark mixture on one side and sand on the other and a heat light. I've stopped feeding him so he will hibernate while we're on vacation in Ca. for Christmas. Thanks for all the helpful info. Talk to you all soon!

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Welcome to forum!

There is a lot to hibernating a tortoise, not just stopping feeding. With a tortoise that you just got, hibernating could prove deadly. I strongly advise against this course.

Temps have to be a steady 40 degrees for them to hibernate properly. Otherwise, you are just starving them. All kinds of things can go wrong. It is not a good idea for a new keeper. We recommend that you never hibernate within the first year, if not longer.

Did you try to find his owner at all? Tortoises are great escape artists, and someone may be missing their pet very much.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Jenifer:

Welcome to the forum!

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Welcome to the forum, Jennifer! It's nice to see another Utah member here!

I agree with Kristina, that hibernating isn't a good idea in your situation. Besides him being new to you and his health unknown (if not downright questionable; not all vets that see reptiles really know anything about reptiles, let alone tortoises), YOU are new to tortoises and as yet inexperienced. It just isn't a good idea, IMO, to hibernate when you're still just getting to know how he needs to be cared for the rest of the year.

With that said, it sounds like you're off to a good start. Ditch the sand, though, it's not a good substrate because it's so drying and event Russian torts like some humidity. You can use the bark over the whole enclosure or use something like cypress mulch or a cheap topsoil with no additives.

You may also want to start construction on a nice tort table for him/her. Russians are active and like to walk a lot. They will utilize every inch you give them. I used to own a young female Russian (6.5" SCL, which basically means straight shell length) who would use every last square inch of her 8x16 ft outdoor enclosure. And boy was she upset when I had to downgrade her outdoor enclosure to 8x4 ft, a quarter of the other's size!

Okay, I think that's all I have to say for now. Lol. Sorry for any spelling mistakes and if my reply is a bit late in the conversation. Sending from the internet phone, so typing is a bit rough.. Haha. :) Again, welcome to the forum!!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Did you try to find the owner? they might be out looking, or maybe they assume thier tortoise is hibernating and will find him in spring..
Where did your dog find it? on a walk or in your yard?
If you must hibernate.. and you feel it was healthy enough to do so...:-/...
then wake him up when you get back fro vacation, just like its spring, and dont allw him to sleep too long.
TO do well, he needs an empty gut, good weight, good hydration and no health issues or injuries.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Welcome to the forum :)
You received very good advices :) If you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Welcome as others have said hibernating a "new" tortoise is not usually a good idea, if it is unhealthy it could die during hibernation, plus you don't know how well it was taken care of, if is a long time escapee it could be taking good care of itself, anyways kudos on the rescue and I hope you will reconsider the hibernation the first year. If you do decide and try to find it's owner don't describe the tortoise just say " found tortoise please call to ID" some people will call and say it is theirs even if it is not.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Welcome Jenifer. I don't know a thing about Russians, but I just wanted to welcome you to the forum.

Medusa

5 Year Member
Utah
Thanks everybody! I can probably get a nieghborhood kid to come give him food and water during Christmas. I better cut this one short and get him some food. He's been sleeping alot, but he's probably starving! Thanks again for all the welcomes!

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Welcome to the forum Jenifer :)

How do you have your tortoise set-up?

Danny

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
Welcome Medusa! I'm always excited when I hear from local Utah members! Feel free to ask any questions you may have about him.

:)

Medusa

5 Year Member
Utah
egyptiandan said:
Welcome to the forum Jenifer :)

How do you have your tortoise set-up?

Danny

He is in a 50 gal. tote with coconut bark on one side and sand on the other and a heat lamp. I know it's not the best right now. I take him outside and let him walk around for a while when I can. I give him fresh water every day and food every other day. It's been advised not to hibernate him this year, so in the spring, I will make an outside pen.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Actually, the 50 gallon tote is just fine, as is the coconut bark. I would however get rid of the sand. If he eats any of it it can cause impactions and make him sick. The coco bark can be moistened, which is a good idea, as he does need some humidity.

Is your heat lamp just heat? Do you have any sort of UV lighting for him? What are the temps in the enclosure?

What are you feeding the little guy? Does he have anywhere to hide? A cardboard shoe box upside down with a hole cut out of it is great, or you can buy one of those half logs from the petstore, or bury a flower pot half in the substrate. Lots of things will work for a hide.

Medusa

5 Year Member
Utah
kyryah said:
Actually, the 50 gallon tote is just fine, as is the coconut bark. I would however get rid of the sand. If he eats any of it it can cause impactions and make him sick. The coco bark can be moistened, which is a good idea, as he does need some humidity.

Is your heat lamp just heat? Do you have any sort of UV lighting for him? What are the temps in the enclosure?

What are you feeding the little guy? Does he have anywhere to hide? A cardboard shoe box upside down with a hole cut out of it is great, or you can buy one of those half logs from the petstore, or bury a flower pot half in the substrate. Lots of things will work for a hide.

The lamp does provide UV, and about 75 degrees for 12 hours. I've been feeding him mostly iceberg and green lettuce and dandelion leaves when I can find them. He likes the heat and eats quite a bit(daily) but he does sleep alot. I figure he's trying to get he's hibernating in while he can.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
The problem is that 75* is not any where near warm enough. Your hot spot should be closer to 100*. Think about it this way - your body temperature is 98.6. That is almost 100 degrees. In order to digest food properly, tortoises have to be kept warm enough. Otherwise the food rots in their bodies. If they aren't warm enough, they won't be active.

You can use a regular 100 watt incandescent light bulb to provide heat. What kind/brand is your UV light? If it is a coil light, please stop using it immediately. They are dangerous and cause eye problems and possible blindness.

Russians do not HAVE to hibernate. I have not hibernated mine. Many here also do not. He needs to be warmed up, or he can still become so unhealthy he will die.

Iceberg is not a good food. It does not contain enough nutrients. Can you get "Spring Mix" at your local grocery store? He needs dark leafy greens, like kale, collards, turnip greens, and the spring mix. Dandelions are great.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Kristina's advice is very sound. You definitely need to fix the heat problem!

kyryah said:
Iceberg is not a good food. It does not contain enough nutrients. Can you get "Spring Mix" at your local grocery store? He needs dark leafy greens, like kale, collards, turnip greens, and the spring mix. Dandelions are great.

Jenifer, FWIW, I've seen "Earthbound Farms" brand organic Spring Mix at both Macey's Food & Drug and Costco (though any brand not containing spinach works.. I think Walmart's brand is good on that front, too), so finding it shouldn't be a problem. It makes a good staple since it's got a good variety without your having to buy way more than your tort would eat (i.e. if you simply bought a bundle each of what Kristina lists), but adding in something from that list every week or so will help keep the diet varied.

Definitely keep up the dandelions as you can get them. Squash (i.e. butternut or acorn/danish squash), lightly softened in the microwave, also makes a good addition once every 1-2 weeks.

Medusa

5 Year Member
Utah
I got a hotter lamp that keeps the temp to 90-95 deg. and got rid of the sand and put in more bark. I also put in a flower pot and am feeding him kale. He seems to like the new things. And I hope he's getting used to me. He doesn't seem to move around so much when I hold him. Thanks so much for all the sound advise. :)

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Welcome! It sounds like you are getting a lot of good advice and using it :). The only thing I have to add is more veriety in his diet. Check out the Russian care sheet and you will see a lot of different things he can eat. Some will be things your family can eat too. That makes it easier to give a veriety of foods. Hubby gets radishes = Torty gets radish tops, Family has squash = Torty gets squash, I eat carrots = Torty gets a few carrot peels. Also we have switched to organic spring mix for our lettus. Hmmm...here is a thought; maybe if we eat more like tortoises we will live as long as tortoises.

zoogrl

5 Year Member
Missouri
Welcome to the forum, I've printed out the food list from the russiantortoise.com website and I keep it in my purse. When I'm out shopping I try to hit up the greenhouses to find something new for my russian. She so far hasn't turned down anything! Also theres a website www.carolinapetsupply.com and they have a russian tortoise seed mix that you can plant in the enclosure. It will grow in about a week and adds some of the variety that they need. Best of luck to you all!

Status
Not open for further replies.