My wood tortoise enclosure

Alex and the Redfoot

Location (City and/or State)
Cyprus
View attachment 370268
My enclosure is coming along! does anyone have any tips for preventing water damage with the wood? I was going to lay down a plastic tarp to line the bottom but i’m open to suggestions.
Tarp, pond liner or good shower curtain is what many use. Make sure that wall bottom is covered (moisture from substrate affects it too). Inch or two above substrate should be okay.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What kind of tortoise and how big/old?
What's the measurements of the box?
Some will also lay tiles or linoleum

Throttle

Jackson, WY
View attachment 370268
My enclosure is coming along! does anyone have any tips for preventing water damage with the wood? I was going to lay down a plastic tarp to line the bottom but i’m open to suggestions.
Flexseal! It needs to be fully dry and cured before safe but with it your wood is fully water protected and the dirt will not cause damage with excess moisture either. We went most of the way up the walls with ours and it works great

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Flexseal! It needs to be fully dry and cured before safe but with it your wood is fully water protected and the dirt will not cause damage with excess moisture either. We went most of the way up the walls with ours and it works great
I have 4 wooden tort tables, all of them have a shower curtain liner stapled into place. They are all 17 to 18 years old. I recently had one develop a leak, the first leak. But it was retrofitted for a Redfoot tortoise with 85% or more of humidity. I personally don't use any product like sealant. Here is a 6'x2.5' wooden tortoise table with a greenhouse closing the whole thing in...DSCN1708.JPG
Right now I'm using pool noodles to contain the leak while I try to decide what I need to do...the table itself is bigger than yours and it holds Layla, a 3 yr old Redfoot. But before her there were 4 box turtles living and digging in it without the greenhouse. I personally think, your habitat is too small for any species...Layla has an outside enclosure as well, but I live in the PNW, we don't have sun yet...lol DSCN0957.JPG
Good morning from the great Willamette Valley in Oregon...DSCN2595.JPG

Snoopy’s mom

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Honolulu
View attachment 370268
I used shower pan liner, it's available at Home Depot and Lowes, I bought it by the foot at Home Depot. It's been going strong for 3 years.

Attachments

• Snoopy's house.jpg
    Snoopy's house.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 3

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have 4 wooden tort tables, all of them have a shower curtain liner stapled into place. They are all 17 to 18 years old. I recently had one develop a leak, the first leak. But it was retrofitted for a Redfoot tortoise with 85% or more of humidity. I personally don't use any product like sealant. Here is a 6'x2.5' wooden tortoise table with a greenhouse closing the whole thing in...View attachment 370277
Right now I'm using pool noodles to contain the leak while I try to decide what I need to do...the table itself is bigger than yours and it holds Layla, a 3 yr old Redfoot. But before her there were 4 box turtles living and digging in it without the greenhouse. I personally think, your habitat is too small for any species...Layla has an outside enclosure as well, but I live in the PNW, we don't have sun yet...lol View attachment 370278
Good morning from the great Willamette Valley in Oregon...View attachment 370280
🎈Happy Happy Birthday 🎂 🎉🥳

Wake Forest, North Carolina
What kind of tortoise and how big/old?
What's the measurements of the box?
Some will also lay tiles or linoleum
my tortoise is a russian, he’s about 6 inches long, i want to say he’s young but when i showed him on here some of y’all said he’s a mature male so i’m not sure how old he is. the pet store told me he was a baby but i don’t think he is. the enclosure is 6x3 and 2 feet tall

Wake Forest, North Carolina
I have 4 wooden tort tables, all of them have a shower curtain liner stapled into place. They are all 17 to 18 years old. I recently had one develop a leak, the first leak. But it was retrofitted for a Redfoot tortoise with 85% or more of humidity. I personally don't use any product like sealant. Here is a 6'x2.5' wooden tortoise table with a greenhouse closing the whole thing in...View attachment 370277
Right now I'm using pool noodles to contain the leak while I try to decide what I need to do...the table itself is bigger than yours and it holds Layla, a 3 yr old Redfoot. But before her there were 4 box turtles living and digging in it without the greenhouse. I personally think, your habitat is too small for any species...Layla has an outside enclosure as well, but I live in the PNW, we don't have sun yet...lol View attachment 370278
Good morning from the great Willamette Valley in Oregon...View attachment 370280
it’s 6feet by 3 feet and 2 feet tall, that’s plenty big for my one russian who’s only going to grow to be 10 inches in my opinion. if has wheels on the bottom so i can wheel her outside when the weather is nice. i live in north carolina so the summers are hot and humid but it also rains a lot so i bring him in during the rain storms. lovely sunset!