Rf just won’t grow

Yoda_the_redfoot

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
My Rf is roughly almost 6 months old, I’m having a problem getting him to grow though.
The humidity in his enclosure is at a constant 82-90 percent, hot spot that gets to around 90 degrees and on the cooler side it is around 82ish, he also has a little burrow which stays at about 78 degrees. He gets calcium d3 on his food about 2-3 times a week. I take him outside and give him a bath daily, I also allow him to walk around and soak up the sun for about an hour a day. He is pretty active he has his days where he can be lazy, but even then he will still walk around for about an hour a day outside. His diet is about 80% greens, 15 percent fruit, and 5% protein. As of weight when I first got him about 3 months ago he was 62-65 grams he is now hovering around 70-72 grams. I’m just worried about the fact on how slow he is gaining weight it also doesn’t look like he has grown much. Is it ok that he is growing very slowly because I know every tortoise is different I just want to know if it is ok, or should I be worried

Attachments

• IMG_9920.jpeg
    IMG_9920.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9844.jpeg
    IMG_9844.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9840.jpeg
    IMG_9840.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9812.jpeg
    IMG_9812.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9884.jpeg
    IMG_9884.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9885.jpeg
    IMG_9885.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I generally feed mine at least 50% fruit. But other than that, I see nothing wrong with what you're doing.
(And the ratio of fruit isn't a problem)
Have you had him since he hatched? A tortoise not started correctly can have a stunting effect.
Otherwise I'd just keep doing what you're doing. Get a digital scale used for food and measure his weight once a month. As long as the numbers go up each month, we can just chalk it up to different tortoises grow at different rates.
To me. He doesn't look particularly small. And his proportions look normal

Yoda_the_redfoot

Florida
I generally feed mine at least 50% fruit. But other than that, I see nothing wrong with what you're doing.
(And the ratio of fruit isn't a problem)
Have you had him since he hatched? A tortoise not started correctly can have a stunting effect.
Otherwise I'd just keep doing what you're doing. Get a digital scale used for food and measure his weight once a month. As long as the numbers go up each month, we can just chalk it up to different tortoises grow at different rates.
To me. He doesn't look particularly small. And his proportions look normal
Ok this makes me a lot happier to know, and no I have not had him since he hatched I got him when he was about 3 months old. Yeah I agree that all tortoises grow at different rates I was just worried because of how little he was gaining

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Ok this makes me a lot happier to know, and no I have not had him since he hatched I got him when he was about 3 months old. Yeah I agree that all tortoises grow at different rates I was just worried because of how little he was gaining
Just check for a steady increase in weight.
Places like WALMART sell those digital food scales for under $20.
Remember that eating or soaking can add weight. So don't weigh him right after a meal or a soak. And don't weigh him more often than once a month because baby tortoise weight fluctuates wildly

Yoda_the_redfoot

Florida
Just check for a steady increase in weight.
Places like WALMART sell those digital food scales for under $20.
Remember that eating or soaking can add weight. So don't weigh him right after a meal or a soak. And don't weigh him more often than once a month because baby tortoise weight fluctuates wildly
Ok I have a digital scale now that’s how I know his weight currently, thanks for the help/info