Weeds too tall?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haleye97

5 Year Member
Are your grazing plants grass height, or are they tall? The ones I started in containers are pretty tall. Will he be able to reach them?

Also, I planted then in organic soil that had manure in it. Is that dangerous?

Are your plants covering the entire ground in your enclosures, or are there sections for grazing and dirt ground?

Do you trim plants that get tall? Like cutting the grass.

samsmom

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CedarCreekLake, Texas
1) depends on how big your tort is,
2) not sure about the manure,
3) in my enclosure there are several bare spots (dirt only), large stepping stones, wood logs and of course grass, weeds, several plants for shade and several hides,
4) i do cut the grass/weeds and pile them in the enclosure for nibbling and digging, my sulcata is only 10 months old and doesn't seem to like when the grass gets too tall!

Hope this helps!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
1. I keep my grass trimmed short but let other plants and certain grass bushes grow tall. I have some plants in the pens where they eat as high as they can reach and the rest is left to look pretty for me :) My aloe vera plant for example looks like an aloe vera tree!

2. When you are ready to transplant the plant with manure just shake the dirt off the root ball and you'll be fine. If you're planning to just trim the plant and feed the trimmings you are also fine.

3. I have plants covering almost the entire enclosure. There is a dirt perimeter around the edges and I created a mosaic tile walk way that curves through the pen. I keep plants trimmed from the path. It's mostly for cosmetics.

4. I do trim and cut the grass but its for me. I like the pens to look more like a pretty garden than an out of control weed patch. This is simply my preference.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Keep in mind that the plant is more nutritious when it is smaller. As the plant grows tall, it becomes higher in fiber and lignin and is harder for the animal to digest. If you have a small plot of grass/plants, you can just use the scissors to keep it down to about 3 or 4 inches in height.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
I have the same problem. My two redfoots don't really graze enough to keep everything trimmed low. I do use scissors to trim it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This is seasonal for me too. I let it all grow much taller and wilder in the summer to give them more shade and cover as well and hold in some more humidity in my dry climate. In our winters, I keep it trimmed back more for more sunshine.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Haleye97 said:
Are your grazing plants grass height, or are they tall? The ones I started in containers are pretty tall. Will he be able to reach them?

My 3 just kinda bulldoze over the tasty ones, and eat 'em to the roots!

Also, I planted then in organic soil that had manure in it. Is that dangerous?

As long as the manure, itself, is organic, as well, I'd guess it's safe, but let's see what everyone else thinks...our goats, my mini-hog and our chickens have kept our yard and tortoisariums well fertilized.

Are your plants covering the entire ground in your enclosures, or are there sections for grazing and dirt ground?

Lot of grazing, and as large patches of dirt appear, I replace 'em with St. Augustine.

Do you trim plants that get tall? Like cutting the grass.

No, as previously noted, my 3 save me the trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.