Where are you buying incandescent bulbs?

Ak3035

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Hi everyone,
Does anyone have any links to the incandescent bulbs you’re purchasing?

I have a baby Sulcata, Tiny, and I purchased a two pack from Amazon. One lasted 3 months. The second one lasted 4 days!!!!

I’m temporarily using a MVB again but I know that’s not good for him.

Can I get a basking bulb from the pet store? I know a “spot” bulb is bad. If it only says basking is that ok?

Other options are a 125w heat bulb? Or a 40w appliance bulb? I don’t think those are good either??

Help!! Any links appreciated.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Amazon
Dollar Store
Home Depot
Clearance shelves
I buy boxes of them as I find them. 40 or 60 watt.
Don't mount an incandescent bulb anywhere that it will shake, get water mist or spray or move at all. The filament is very brittle. Especially when it's hot.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
The problem with incandescent bulbs they are made to last only a certain amount of time. To extend their life buy a larger wattage than you need and buy a lamp dimmer to reduce the wattage down and the temperature output down to what you want. This does 2 things you won't have to keep raising and lowering the bulb to get the temp you are looking for and it will extend the life of the bulb. This goes for CHEs too. Why buy a 60 watt CHE which is the same cost as a 150 watt when you can reduce a 150 down to 60 or even lower. Some day you may need more than 60 watts of heat. Lamp dimmers have been around since the early 1960s. They will work on any incandescent type bulb or CHE. I use them on my Stanfield heat mats, light bulbs, CHEs and heat panels in the out door houses for the sulcatas. They make it easier to get the temps where I want them.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
The problem with incandescent bulbs they are made to last only a certain amount of time. To extend their life buy a larger wattage than you need and buy a lamp dimmer to reduce the wattage down and the temperature output down to what you want. This does 2 things you won't have to keep raising and lowering the bulb to get the temp you are looking for and it will extend the life of the bulb. This goes for CHEs too. Why buy a 60 watt CHE which is the same cost as a 150 watt when you can reduce a 150 down to 60 or even lower. Some day you may need more than 60 watts of heat. Lamp dimmers have been around since the early 1960s. They will work on any incandescent type bulb or CHE. I use them on my Stanfield heat mats, light bulbs, CHEs and heat panels in the out door houses for the sulcatas. They make it easier to get the temps where I want them.
Nice!
Thank you

Ak3035

Arizona
Thank you!! Do you use them with a timer still?

Ak3035

Arizona
Amazon
Dollar Store
Home Depot
Clearance shelves
I buy boxes of them as I find them. 40 or 60 watt.
Don't mount an incandescent bulb anywhere that it will shake, get water mist or spray or move at all. The filament is very brittle. Especially when it's hot.
Thank you! That’s good to know. I checked Home Depot before, it’s all LED now other than appliance bulbs. Do those work too? 😅

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
You can buy traffic signal incandescent bulbs online. They are usually 69 watts. LED bulbs don't work to well in traffic signals where it gets cold enough to freeze. They need the heat to melt the snow and ice. I have used them in the past many years ago.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you! That’s good to know. I checked Home Depot before, it’s all LED now other than appliance bulbs. Do those work too? 😅
I used to buy mine at Home Depot in AZ every November when I came for the TTPG conference. This year I couldn't find any on the shelves, so I asked the employee. He told me they discontinued them all and sent them all back to HQ in August. I found a few of them down the street at the Ace hardware store in Mesa, but you will probably be best served by just ordering what you need and having it delivered to your door. Here in CA, the lunatics running this asylum made it illegal to sell them in CA, so we don't have the option of ordering them on-line. CA residents have to use the Arcadia brand reptile flood lamps, or we have to get our necessary bulbs out of state.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Also I just wanted to make sure it was okay etiquette commenting on old threads on the forum vs just making new ones?
This is from Tuesday...this is Thursday...so not old thread...old is months or years...check this out...this is a turtle I got from my sister...she is wild as hell and is about to bite me here...100_2261.JPG