And another one...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
a520BRPIP.jpg

"STEP RIGHT UP FOLKS AND GET YOURSELF A 'BLACK-CHERRY' TORTOISE.... BRED EXCLUSIVELY BY THE NERD!
36_20_1.gif

Shoot.. anybody can hatch red/orange/salmon, etc. colored "Cherryheads". How many BLACK ones do you see?

He stuck his foot out for a second and it was black!

520BRPIP.jpg

Closer to more normal incubation time anyway.

Hope he takes his time coming out.. his "sibling" is still hanging in there but not much progress when it comes to absorbing the yolk-sac.

Terry

Tropical Torts

10 Year Member!
Northwest FL
Black ones just keep popping out for you, huh Terry? :) Congrats one the new arrival. I cant wait to see the little guy out of his shell and with his sib. Keep us posted and thanks for sharing!

Dutch

5 Year Member
Virginia
Cool Terry!!! I'm happy for you, congrats! I saw a black hatchling on your web a few weeks ago, what a wonderful tort, unfortunately already sold... Can't wait to see the picture of the new arrival! :)

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
I couldn't believe my eyes - today!

521PIP.jpg

Compare the BR on the coding of this one and the other one -

521PIPa.jpg

Looks like another huge yolk-sac. I'll keep the progress posted.

NERD

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Not what you would call "slow-hatch"... but he has taken his time - might even have absorbed some of that yolk-sac too...

AlmostREAR.jpg

This one and another one is getting close to getting out. From what I can see the other one looks to have another one of those huge yolk-sacs.. I'll leave it alone.

AlmostCR.jpg

I'm beginning to believe I'm the "exclusive" BLACKCHERRY breeder! And I thot my male was a slug... he was just waiting til his 'main-squeeze' was clean so he could produce his exclusive line. [ yes.. others have hatched 'black' ones.. but consistently? ]

Perfect hatchling otherwise.. no split scutes, etc.

NERD

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Wednesday 5/25.. 8 a.m. -

525BRCL.jpg

Look close and you'll see the yolk-sac lower left -

525BRCRR.jpg

I think we'll do much better with this one since he is out of the shell - time will tell on the other one.. he's still in the shell even tho' at least 1/3 of the shell is 'off' so I can see inside. Like 'rock suggested... I'm keeping him covered and left alone. Pics ASAP.

NERD

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
Thats a beautiful tortoise Terry. I need some schooling on the "black" cherryhead types. Are the parents "normal"? Do they stay black or do they marble and loose the black? Are all the siblings in the clutch black?

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
"rock".. the parents -

male-

1210BRrcl.jpg

female -

110910BR.jpg

Kristina has pics of the "oldest" one to date.. that I have seen anyway.

So far the most recent ( 4 total ) from TWO different clutches from early November and late December have NO RED and little pale yellow on feet and head. Two more from earlier this year had little pale orange/red on them.

The most recent ones are "blackest" so far.. which I need to keep for myself - I haven't kept any yet.

She should/could be nesting again soon.. once the weather evens out!

Terry

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Thanks for posting pics. It's so much fun seeing the cuties hatching.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
His yolk-sac is almost absorbed.. just a matter of a few more days so I didn't want to 'flash' his eyes too much -

525hatchRC.jpg

525hatchRF.jpg

He's a beaut.. isn't he? No red anywhere... wait til you see his plastron.. the same colors as his marginals!

Terry

Status
Not open for further replies.