Lady Hermann not her usual self

ruthiepo

Location (City and/or State)
Chippenham
Teztez seems to have forgotten about her desire to track down the tortoise she saw in the mirror.
The mad digging/escape/ non eating phase seems to have passed.
Perhaps it was a phantom egg pregnancy like in James herriot.
Safe journeys and a happy day on the 8th.
Ruthxx

zolasmum

5 Year Member
The weather looks promising for Friday - we need to go to Torquay soon, as once the holiday season really gets going, it gets very crowded and the journey there takes a very long time, with holiday coaches blocking the narrow twisty roads.The drive there is lovely in places, though, and Torquay itself is still recognisable from my childhood memories. Zola is a good little traveller, and generally sleeps a lot on my lap.
Angie x

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Latest bird check - one is a bit larger than the others, and sometimes stays on his own - the crafty little blighter has realised he gets more food that way ! But they all seem well. I wish we could help them, but I don't think we could offer them their proper food, which I think mostly consists of flying insects.
Angie xx

ruthiepo

Chippenham
That's so good that they are all surviving and growing, so interesting!
I bet you will get some wonderful photos of their progress.
Thanks for the update.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Zola went out for a long walk with his dad - then he came home to find me waiting in his room, wearing new shoes !!! They were white trainers (from Lidl ) which I got recently, and wanted to get used to before we go to Torquay tomorrow - if the forecast is still good. He was fascinated by them - a few little explatory bites, then prowling around and climbing over them - tasting and undoing the laces - he spent ages doing all this, and it was wonderful watching him - Anyone who saw him would be impressed by his intelligent curiosity. It's much the same with Teztez, isn't it ? And yet
many people think tortoises are boring and not very bright - just because they have small heads, they presume they have very little brain ability.
I'm glad you liked the photo of him on the big wheel - you can see how relaxed he is about being held, and the way he holds his head out for a good view.
Angie xx

zolasmum

5 Year Member
We went to Torquay, but it was actually a bit of an ordeal. We had driven most of the way without meeting too much traffic - however, we suddenly found ourselves in a huge traffic jam - hundreds, even thousands of cars, filling up all the roads -even little side roads - and hardly moving at all. There was no indication of what was happening - no notices of any kind. We didn't have much option but to stay in the jam - and we stayed for over an hour and a half !!!
It seems that during the night a huge parcel truck and a council vehicle for trimming verges had collided - the truck turned on to it's back, and there was stuff all over the road - our greatest anxiety was that we would be too late for our fish and chips -but we just made it! We sat on a bench looking at the sea to eat - the cliffs here are a deep red, and very striking. We were fairly tired after all the stress, and just managed to look round the marina a bit, and then set off home, rather sooner than we intended - and hardly saw another car !
Here's Zola by the marina ... ..
Angie xxxx

A-&-Z-on-pier.jpg

zolasmum

5 Year Member
I couldn't see a way of adding the baby bird photos, so here they are -taken today. The first one is of the largest baby, and he was the first to fledge -you can even see the blue sheen of his feathers on his side. The other two have bits of fluff still on them ..... Angie and Zola xxxxxswallowlet-24.jpgswallowlet-22.jpg

ruthiepo

Chippenham
Dear Angie and Zola,

thank you for the marvellous pictures!
Beautiful blue sky at Torquay and you and Zola both look very well. I'm glad you got there safely, and in time for gorgeous fish and chips.
The pictures of the baby swallows are excellent! Aren't they lovely. Perched safely on their special bowl.
the parents have done well to rear them all. Hopefully they will come back every year.
Thank you for the updates.

love from Ruth and Teztez xxx

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Dear Angie and Zola,

thank you for the marvellous pictures!
Beautiful blue sky at Torquay and you and Zola both look very well. I'm glad you got there safely, and in time for gorgeous fish and chips.
The pictures of the baby swallows are excellent! Aren't they lovely. Perched safely on their special bowl.
the parents have done well to rear them all. Hopefully they will come back every year.
Thank you for the updates.

love from Ruth and Teztez xxx
The swallows are still getting on well - flying about quite a bit, mainly in the car-port, which is good, as it has been very windy, with heavy rain at times. They don't mind Richard wandering around near them, as they have seen him so much. In fact, I think one has mistaken him for a parent ! They are well named !
Angie xxxswallowlet-40.jpg

zolasmum

5 Year Member
The swallows have not been about much -I think they are going outside with their parents, but it has been realy windy, with some fairly heavy rain at times, so we just hope they are all right. I suppose they have to learn how to feed themselves and so on. At least they have had a good opportunity to practice their flying skills safely in the carport - it is quite big, and the roof is high.
Here is another photo from yesterday, which I love. It's great the way they all watch Richard when he takes a photo swallowlet-43.jpg
Zola and Angie xxxx

zolasmum

5 Year Member
They look so intelligent!
Hope they are OK with the blustering wind.
Brilliant photos!
Thank you.
Yes, they do look intelligent, and have worked out that we are not going to hurt them - in fact we have done what we can to protect them - two cat scarers, and trying to make their bowl fairly difficult to get at, except by air !
Although they have abandoned the nest bowl, and are now just appearing in the area - three on the wire opposite the carport - and occasional forays into the car port still, just to show off how well they can fly. They all look well and strong.
Angie xxx

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Excellent news, that is so good.
We are really pleased that the babies have made it so far, but obviously the journey to Africa will be very difficult, with all the wildfires and other climate problems - and presumably less food on the way because of insect numbers being reduced because of the heat -we just hope they will get there somehow.
We shall be watching out for them next year, and Zola will let you know if they do come again. Has it been very hot for her Ladyship? I don't think Zola appreciates exessive heat - he has been out with his dad quite a lot recently, and meeting quite a few old friends - it is so touching when he does meet people again, as they always remember him and are so delighted.
I think you asked once about him appearing in the local paper - no, we are not on facebook or any other social media - we avoid anything like that - and any sort of publicity like newspapers - if he meets someone,that is just a personal encounter,- not many people know where he lives -apart from anything else, we don't want him stolen - we have very few local friends, and we prefer privacy - just us and Zola ! And robins and swallows, of course !
This forum is wonderful, but it is the only group we are involved in.
Zola sends his deep and devoted affection to TezTez as always
Angie xxxx

ruthiepo

Chippenham
Thank you for the update Angie. I do hope the swallows survive their long journey; I hadn't thought of the implications of the heat and fires. Oh dear, I do hope they will manage.
Still they will have had a good start to life and are strong and healthy.
The Lady Teztez is quite well and seems to be realising that summer is past its zenith. She just moves around her regular sunny, sheltered places and I have brought her indoors a few times lately as it was too cold and rainy outside.
She has been enjoying some clover blossom and leaves, rocket and dandelions. And of course her soggies.
Teztez feels very privileged to know Zola. We often think about him and marvel at his adventures and the friends he makes on his walks with Richard.
We hope you all are well and have a peaceful weekend.
Love to noble and adventurous Zola from his admiring friends, Teztez and Ruth xxx

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Thank you for the update Angie. I do hope the swallows survive their long journey; I hadn't thought of the implications of the heat and fires. Oh dear, I do hope they will manage.
Still they will have had a good start to life and are strong and healthy.
The Lady Teztez is quite well and seems to be realising that summer is past its zenith. She just moves around her regular sunny, sheltered places and I have brought her indoors a few times lately as it was too cold and rainy outside.
She has been enjoying some clover blossom and leaves, rocket and dandelions. And of course her soggies.
Teztez feels very privileged to know Zola. We often think about him and marvel at his adventures and the friends he makes on his walks with Richard.
We hope you all are well and have a peaceful weekend.
Love to noble and adventurous Zola from his admiring friends, Teztez and Ruth xxx
Dear Ruth - our robins have at least one baby - a great fat fluffball - that we have seen - maybe more. Richard feeds both adults - the male has been coming to his hand every time for quite a while, in a friendly and appreciative way - but has recently started to peck at his hand fiercely while he does it - he takes nearly all the mealworms away for the babies - and the female will approach Richard and stand on the ground near his feet, glaring at him accusingly -if he puts his hand on the ground, she will take the worms willingly, but refuses to come if he stands up, even though she can see that Mr Robin will stand on his hand up in the air, to get his mealworms ! They have such different personalities !
But we hope they will stay with us for a long time, funny little things that they are!
Zola will be watching the Tour de France with us shortly - he likes to sit on my lap, and sometimes drift off to sleep - it isn't too noisy - noise can unsettle him.
Does Teztez object to noise ?
Love from Zola and Angie xxx

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Most dear and most noble of ladies -magnificent Teztez - I hope that all is well with you and your loving retainers. I thought you would like to know that we have seen at least two of the swallows together recently, perched on a favoured metal rack in our carport - I suppose they might be the parents, of course. We have had some fairly unpleasant weather - really heavy rain and wind, so I haven't been out for a walk with my papa for a few days. However, we hope to go out soon today, as the sun is occasionally shining. I miss my climbing exercise -I have to keep my legs in trim,don't I ?
One thing my papa finds more and more irritating is the number of people sitting on benches placed to give them a particularly lovely view, but just looking at their phones all the time ! Or even worse, also carrying on a loud phone conversation,drowning the sounds of the birds and the waves! Sometimes he has pointed out to such a person that they are spoiling the enjoyment of others - they seem really surprised (and offended) but he has white hair and looks too old for them to attack him, so they often do quieten down or go away in an annoyed manner !
I do hope you are having a pleasant day.
Your devoted friend and admirer
Zolaxxx

ruthiepo

Chippenham
My dear fellow, most admired Zola, from your friend Teztez, I am very pleased to hear about the swallows evidently feeling very at home in your carport. What a rewarding achievement, this summer, to have assisted a family to rear 100 percent of their nestlings.
We have not had many swifts nesting in our roof this year, it has been quite quiet. My retainers have been researching reasons for lack of swifts. It could be for several reasons, I'm told, less insects to eat, bad weather, east winds during the spring, rather sad all round.
My retainers once had quite an admonition from someone years ago, when they were a young couple, they parked their yellow dolomite sprint in front of a seat on a hillside (in Devon ) and went for a walk.
When they returned there was a stiff note attached to the windscreen pointing out their selfish parking!! It struck quite a chord on their young consciences and they have never knowingly inconvenienced anyone through selfish parking since! In fact "parking selfishly" has been a phrase which they have treasured ever since!! And teased each other about.
I am sure you would never park carelessly, noble Zola.
Your Papa is assisting the General public to think of others. No bad thing at all.
Like non existent service in High Street Banks, sloppy customer service must be called out.
My retainer has at last realised that I adore grapes; I have been trying to indicate this for some time but at last the penny has dropped, and I have been enjoying some delicious red seedless ones.
Much love, with a grape smeared beak, from your fond compatriot, Teztez xxx

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Dear Ruth - I was looking through some older photos, and came upon this one of Zola and his dad on one of Zola's birthdays -not sure when, but years ago, and noticed Zola's legs dangling fetchingly - I thought Teztez might like it! Richard had got his hat in the market in Barnstaple, and I made Zola a matching hat too.
I like this photo very much, myself - they look so much at ease together.
IMGP0591-edit2sm.jpg
Angie xxx

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Dear Ruth - just an update on the swallows - they are still hanging around the car-port, although we don't see signs of any new nest-building. They sit on the wire from the telegraph pole, or sometimes on a tall metal stand in the car-port, and there is a bit of a flurry of wings when we appear, but not in any scared way. They don't seem to be considering having another brood, which is probably wise. It has been wet,windy and cold, and we are feeling sorry for the tourists coming to the area for summer holidays - there really isn't a great deal going on if the weather is poor. We are ok, but our friends in the various craft shops and other tourist attractions are doing badly.
I hope you are all well, especially the lovely Lady, of course.
Angie and Zola xxxx