My indian star tortoise nit eating anything and is making sime sounds sneezing or something

parisa

Location (City and/or State)
india
My star turtle was recently bit by a rat. Though I treated him as the vet suggested and he was fine. But recently I have noticed that he has lost his appetite and he has become quite inactive. I also have observed he makes some noise, I don't know he's sneezing or something I am not sure. But i am worried about him. Is something wrong with him?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
We need to know a lot more than what you gave.
Temps, basking, all over, night?
Type of heat exactly?
Type of bulbs exactly?
Substrate?
Size of enclosure?
Size/age of tortoise?
What meds did the vet give and how long ago since he's had any meds?

Reactions: Ink

parisa

india
We need to know a lot more than what you gave.
Temps, basking, all over, night?
Type of heat exactly?
Type of bulbs exactly?
Substrate?
Size of enclosure?
Size/age of tortoise?
What meds did the vet give and how long ago since he's had any meds?
I have had him for 10 years and we never gave him any extra heat. He's not kept in an enclosure we just let him be anywhere he wants in the house. It's been almost a month since he's had any meds. The meds were basically an ointment for the wound and a glucose powder or something to be given in the water. His age must be somewhere between 30 to 35. I am not sure.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
1. Does he have outdoor area to warm up under the sun?
2. Where he sleeps at night? What are night low temperatures there?

If he is sick (infection from a rat bite, respiratory infection and such) - keeping him warm will help to recover. This means that day and night temperature where he is should be at minimum 80F (27C). You can put him at night in a cardboard box or plastic container in a heated room for now.

As he roams around the house he could eat something inappropriate (either toxic like food leftovers or non-digestible like hair, screw and such).

Making a dedicated safe space with correct temperatures, humidity and substrate (outdoor pen or indoors enclosure) - is much better for him than free roaming in the house.

parisa

india
1. Does he have outdoor area to warm up under the sun?
2. Where he sleeps at night? What are night low temperatures there?

If he is sick (infection from a rat bite, respiratory infection and such) - keeping him warm will help to recover. This means that day and night temperature where he is should be at minimum 80F (27C). You can put him at night in a cardboard box or plastic container in a heated room for now.

As he roams around the house he could eat something inappropriate (either toxic like food leftovers or non-digestible like hair, screw and such).

Making a dedicated safe space with correct temperatures, humidity and substrate (outdoor pen or indoors enclosure) - is much better for him than free roaming in the house.
At night he sleeps in a place we have for him kind of a box. As for the temperatures, it's normally 80F here so is there a need to provide different space? And about eating left over things, it's not a concern because at all times he's in the view of someone and we do make sure at all times that there's nothing in his reach but his food. So should I be worried?

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
At night he sleeps in a place we have for him kind of a box. As for the temperatures, it's normally 80F here so is there a need to provide different space? And about eating left over things, it's not a concern because at all times he's in the view of someone and we do make sure at all times that there's nothing in his reach but his food. So should I be worried?
Room and outside temperatures aren't exactly the same as your tortoise experience (closer to the floor is usually colder). 80F is the minimum he needs and 85F may be even better.

When tortoise loses appetite and becomes inactive - yes, it's reason to worry. If raising night temperatures won't help in a couple of days - you may need to see the vet. Also, if you keep him only in the house - you can bring him out for a walk under the sun (don't leave him alone and make some shade available too).

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes you need to worry because he is not acting normal and the care you are giving is not correct.
He needs to bask under temps that reaches 95-100 to properly digest his food and keep insides working properly.
He should not roam the floors of your house, no one can keep an eye on him every single second. You likely won't even know if he picked up a small something or hair.
He needs to have a permanent safe and secure outdoor enclosure that's set up just for him.
Get his temp up now to 85F in the whole area he lives with the appropriate basking temps. If he doesn't improve in a couple days, find a good reptile vet with tortoise experience.
You have been caring for him wrong all those years. Now that you know better, it's time to do better.

parisa

india
Yes you need to worry because he is not acting normal and the care you are giving is not correct.
He needs to bask under temps that reaches 95-100 to properly digest his food and keep insides working properly.
He should not roam the floors of your house, no one can keep an eye on him every single second. You likely won't even know if he picked up a small something or hair.
He needs to have a permanent safe and secure outdoor enclosure that's set up just for him.
Get his temp up now to 85F in the whole area he lives with the appropriate basking temps. If he doesn't improve in a couple days, find a good reptile vet with tortoise experience.
You have been caring for him wrong all those years. Now that you know better, it's time to do better.
Thank you. I will setup his area ASAP!