New to the Forum

Littleredfootbigredheart

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Thanks for your comments. Here are some photos for @ZEROPILOT
I appreciate your help Sir!
Welcome to the forum!! You’ve been given some great advice so far, I’m sure you’ll make the changes needed😊
I joined this forum with our red foot not being kept in the best set up either, she’s recently been upgraded with so much help from people here, I couldn’t have done it without their advice, I’m still in the process of tweaking things to get it just right for her and learning every day, but it’s so nice knowing this community is here to help, any questions you have moving forward with things, they’ll always be someone here to give advice😊

I think you have yourself a little girl btw but best waiting for more experienced members to confirm(they might still be too young to fully tell) all the best on your new journey🥰

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
This is great @ZEROPILOT and I love the setup specially they can go to separate enclosures. I learned too many great things just being in this great forum for 1 day.
The secret to keeping multiple Redfoot is keep at least 3 females per male. And offer lots of hiding/resting areas

Zman

Glendale, CA
The secret to keeping multiple Redfoot is keep at least 3 females per male. And offer lots of hiding/resting areas
I am thinking of adding another one once I am done with the habitat setup, but first I need to know the gender of mine.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I am thinking of adding another one once I am done with the habitat setup, but first I need to know the gender of mine.
That's a BIG ONE.
I've been so bad at guessing sexes that I've had to restructure my group several times.
My all female group of 7 ended up as 3 males and 4 females....
Anyone considering keeping multiple tortoises. Do yourself a favor and build a large enclosure. Then a 2nd smaller one just in case. There are certain tortoises that as they sexually mature, do not want to cooperate. Usually that's a male. But not always.

Last edited:

Zman

Glendale, CA
Unfortunately, they can be kept in groups or they can be kept solo, but never in pairs.
Can I keep different breeds together? if yes which breeds goes well with redfoot?
I think I can keep two female and 1 male RF for now.

Last edited:

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Can I mix different breeds? if yes which breeds goes well with redfoot?
I think I can keep two female and 1 male RF for now.
Not a good idea to mix species. I’ll defer to @ZEROPILOT on advice about ratios, he’s the expert. See his post above.

Be prepared to dedicate a lot of time and space if that is the direction you want to go in. I’d see how you do with one before going further

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
It is my personal experience that my male Redfoot is now a female...and my male Sulcata is now also a female....so don't count on any correct sexing until they are of a certain size. Also having one tort by himself generally brings out the social part him and he is much more personable. I much more enjoy one tort alone....and they seem to like being alone...especially at dinner timeDSCN1340.JPG

COmtnLady

Colorado
Just to be sure - these three spots look a bit off. This can be old, treated fungus. OTC antifungal creme won't do any harm, so you can try and then scrab them again in a few days, after soaking. Of course, gently.
If these marks don't respond to the "dollar store athlete's foot cream" (don't get expensive kind), they could be divots from her climbing over something sharp and it dinging the plastron.