newest hatchlings

Status
Not open for further replies.

allegraf

10 Year Member!
Here are two of Rambutan's orange babies and one from Sweets. Sweets baby and one of Rambutan's hatched on Saturday and the other on Friday. They are so much fun!

This is the same baby. He was the only one that would stay still on the paper towel for his glamour shot!
P1010104.jpg

P1010101.jpg

Here is the other Rambutan baby:
P1010106.jpg

Sweet's baby:
P1010108.jpg

allegraf

10 Year Member!
100% cherryheads. All of our torts are cherries. We do have two juvenile Colombians but they are both girls and separated from our males. No chances of mixing.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
I really really like the coloring on these! Would love to look into my Cherry nursery and see such beauties!! Way to go!! Congrats!

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
They are all adorable!

That first one looks like his mascara ran, and with that black lipstick, he's positively Goth...as his parents, I hope you have given him a good talking-to. ;)

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Any idea what 'region' the parents are from Allegra? What do you suppose created the "orange" colors? Are there "red" individuals in your group and if so do you keep them seperate? From what I can tell it appears they have the traditional 'dark-seamed' plastron(?).

These are not intended to be debated questions.. simply seeking info.

I like those colors much better than the 'dark' red ones also.. very nice!

Congrats!

Terry K

allegraf

10 Year Member!
I have no idea what region they are from, but all of my adults are cherryheads. Those orange babies are always from Rambutan, my very orange female. My husband found a clutch that we missed early in the season. We thought the eggs may have been from Rambutan, but when the first one hatched, it came out red. Definitely not Rambutan. This is her third year laying eggs. The first year, all the babies came out yellow and slowly changed to a dull orange. Last year and this year, all (two so far) of Rambutan's are that tangerine color. She was exposed to a coral male and two red males.

My other babies tend to start out light coral and turn red within a few months. All different shades of red. Rambutan is my only orange adult. The two sub adults are also orange, but nowhere near breeding size. I have one female that is red with quite a bit of yellow but the rest are shades of red.

All of my cherry babies have the dark plastron seams, but a few of my granny's mutts also have extremely dark plastron markings as well. But that is another topic of conversation.

All of our adults are together but we have a few recent additions that are in quarantine.

PS
The goth baby was going for the Joker look as a tribute to Heath Ledger.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
We ( whoever we are ) are wondering then if colors are "regional" based on the possible differences in flora? So we have different carbonaria as a result of obvious "barriers" in nature and/or what man had done/introduced centuries ago. And now we have different colors among those also.

Again not to be "debating".. how PURE are our charges? Is anything pure these days as a result of mans 'inovations'? [ in no way attempting to undo or justify my personal error.. or anyone elses for that matter ]

Pardon the personal reference: I have "cherryhead" sub-adults that vary considerably in head color as well as patterns also. Only time will tell what they produce. http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v41/clemmysman/CHERRY COLORS/

Thanks again Allegra...

Terry K

Status
Not open for further replies.