Red footed tortoise don't eat fruit and general eating problems

Alex and the Redfoot

Location (City and/or State)
Cyprus
Oh, poor guy... On these photos it is seen clearly what is the problem.

@Yvonne G @zovick Can you advise what to do? Can we use nail clippers to cut a part of lower beak ("the tooth")?

zovick

10 Year Member!

@Yvonne G @zovick Can you advise what to do? Can we use nail clippers to cut a part of lower beak ("the tooth")?
It looks as though it could be snipped off with nail clippers. Be careful not to get the tongue when doing it, though. Probably taking the tortoise to a vet would be the safest option.

Martellone

Italy

A big update!!

Sunday i snipped off by myself the "tooth" with nail clippers! Five minutes later he start to eat a lot..i think the tooth in addition to hindering the bites,it did not close the beak completely. Now are five days that he eat a lot. He has never eaten so much!!mushrooms , clover in the outside enclosure, melon, pineapple, scarole salad. He doesen't eat greens but mixed with mazuri yes..until he grow to 580 g (the weight of september 2023 before all the problems started) i want to give him a plus of 3-4 grams of mazuri to natural food every day to sustain growth. Obviously as soon as he reaches 580 g i will stop exaggerating and provide him with the right amount of food.

I note that he drink a lot now, more than before.probably to help digestion of food?

We are very very happy, a big problem solved..I think with those biggest quantity of food he restart to grow earlier.

Thank you very much guys for suggestions, in particular Alex. Thanks

Attached a picture after cut.

Attachments

• 20240519_133549.jpg
    20240519_133549.jpg
    285.3 KB · Views: 1

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Wow! What a change! I'm happy to know that he is "usual self" now. You've been doing great with caring for him and courageous to clip the "tooth"!

He drinks a lot because he eats a lot and water is supporting digestion.

I think if you don't see any bleeding and rot - you may stop betadine (it slows down wounds regeneration).

By the way, where have you got Mazuri in EU? (I'm hesitating to order from US because of the price :) )

Martellone

Italy
Wow! What a change! I'm happy to know that he is "usual self" now. You've been doing great with caring for him and courageous to clip the "tooth"!

He drinks a lot because he eats a lot and water is supporting digestion.

I think if you don't see any bleeding and rot - you may stop betadine (it slows down wounds regeneration).

By the way, where have you got Mazuri in EU? (I'm hesitating to order from US because of the price :) )
In a shop in Romagna..the place where i take the tort 6 years ago..i think they have an online shop..minizoo rinaldi