Redfoot looking for a date

DVSquires

Location (City and/or State)
Plymouth Meeting, PA
Well, it's that lovely time of year again when our now 9 year old male redfoot repeatedly tries to escape the same enclosures he is perfectly content in every other time of year. I'm assuming this is hormonal since it is so cyclical and predictable. We are constantly finding him flipped on his back. He does this even when he is outside in his garden, and we have to keep going out there to check on him throughout the day. Two years ago he succeeded in scaling the 3 foot stone wall around his garden, escaping and was gone 10 hell-filled days. We've since put a 5' chain link fence around it and he still insists on trying to climb out. It has a padlocked gate on it so we can get in & out, and we also find him trying to wedge himself in the space between the gate and the fence. We've had to cover the bottom few feet of the fence so he can't hook his feet in the openings and pull himself up (yes he did accomplish that). Is anyone else having this experience with their young male redfoot???

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have two male leopards and a male Russian. They all have their own enclosures. My leopards are 13 years old and Russian somewhere past probably 20 years. I see no male hormonal/spring difference from any other time of year. Do you have more tortoises that are female?
Be sure he has a big enough enclosure or this could be the problem.

DVSquires

Plymouth Meeting, PA
His indoor enclosure is 4' wide x 10' long, and his garden is 9x10 with a shaded area on one half, a hut that he loves, and organic grasses and other edibles for him to graze all day (as well as a soaking pool). I don't have any other tortoises and as far as I know no one nearby has any either. It's just like a switch goes off in his head this time of year for the last 3 years or so.

DVSquires

Plymouth Meeting, PA
Well, it's that lovely time of year again when our now 9 year old male redfoot repeatedly tries to escape the same enclosures he is perfectly content in every other time of year. I'm assuming this is hormonal since it is so cyclical and predictable. We are constantly finding him flipped on his back. He does this even when he is outside in his garden, and we have to keep going out there to check on him throughout the day. Two years ago he succeeded in scaling the 3 foot stone wall around his garden, escaping and was gone 10 hell-filled days. We've since put a 5' chain link fence around it and he still insists on trying to climb out. It has a padlocked gate on it so we can get in & out, and we also find him trying to wedge himself in the space between the gate and the fence. We've had to cover the bottom few feet of the fence so he can't hook his feet in the openings and pull himself up (yes he did accomplish that). Is anyone else having this experience with their young male redfoot???
Hoping to bump up my post and see if anyone has additional input. One of my greatest concerns is that in a couple of years he will be moving out with my son when he buys a home of his own. He & his fiance will be at work all day and if Puck flips over, either indoors or in an outdoor enclosure, he can potentially be left like that for 12+ hours by the time anyone gets home. We are finding him flipped over daily, both inside and outside, as we have this time of year for the past 3 years or so. The vet tells us his enclosure is too small, so I gave up seeking advice from the vet at this point. Neither of his enclosures are too small, he is perfectly content in them all year except for the warmest months when this [seemingly] hormonal-driven desire to escape sets in. He is strong enough now to move the cover off his indoor enclosure when trying to get out, and when we observe him flipped over he appears to be too big to right himself. My husband works at home and checks on him every half hour or so, but once he is living with my son there won't be someone there all day to monitor him. I hate the thought of resorting to rehoming him since he will be 10 years old by then and we've had him since babyhood, but I hate even more the idea that he could die a horrible death if he flips over in hot summer sun or in his pool. Really need some guidance on this one.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
First you need to figure out what he is using to flip over...a corner? A rock? Is he trying to climb the chain link? I surely agree with you about him being left all day alone. That's why we need to figure out how he's flipping. Would you mind posting some photos of his enclosure? My very first RF was a male named Houdini... He could climb a 4 foot chain link fence and escape. If they can see out, they try to get out...I can't say about a male being testrone driven and in 'rut' so to speak. I don't breed, so I really am no help there. I think females may have a kind of urge to mate. But I don't think it's anything like a cat or dog in heat.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I agree with @Maggie3fan
I think the tortoise is trying to explore an area he can see.
It's possible you need sight barriers or a larger enclosure with more hides and other enrichments.
I currently have 3 Redfoot in three enclosures. Two of them are males. And they spend no time trying to escape that I'm aware of.