Scutes falling off and shell separation

Jsmithcali130

Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento CA
Hello, I have a 3 year old sulcata. About a year ago he was attacked by a dog and his two front legs were torn off. I am not noticing issues with his shell. We just returned him to his outdoor enclosure since it’s warm enough for him now. He normally has a well rounded diet but is not refusing to eat his orchard grass and only eats the other veggies and lettuce he’s given. I noticed his scoots are falling of by one of his legs that was injured and his shell looks to be separating. Any advice? See photo.

Attachments

• IMG_2565.jpeg
    IMG_2565.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
It seems that the bone underneath has died, and the keratin layer has lost its blood supply, so the scutes have started to fall off. This process might take years, so it is most likely due the old dog bite. If all goes well new karatin will grow under the dead bone and the bone will flake off leaving a clean site. This process should be monitored but left alone AKA don't try to pick the loose scute.

Otherwise the tortoises shell looks pretty pyramided and dehydrated. How was he started as a hatchling? What was his humidity like? Was he soaked? Do you soak him now?

I will try to attract people more experienced with sulcatas here @Yvonne G @Tom @Ray--Opo

Last edited:

Jsmithcali130

Sacramento CA
I am not sure how he was hatched but he was soaked daily as a baby. We stopped soaking him as much over the winter and have started daily soaks again.

JoJosMom

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake, CA
First thing is read the following links
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-best-way-to-raise-a-sulcata-leopard-or-star-tortoise.181497/

And when you're done reading both care sheets, READ THEM AGAIN! And just when you think you are done reading, READ THEM AGAIN!

It is unfortunate that this baby had to suffer the attack of a dog. Never will I understand this being allowed to happen, however, I will agree with @The_Four_Toed_Edward.

On a more important note, something is off here. This 3 year old should not have this much pyramiding had it been soaked daily as a baby. What are your temperatures? What type of indoor enclosure do you provide during the winter? Does it have access to UVB during the cold months?

Let's get some more detailed information please!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
First thing is read the following links
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-best-way-to-raise-a-sulcata-leopard-or-star-tortoise.181497/

And when you're done reading both care sheets, READ THEM AGAIN! And just when you think you are done reading, READ THEM AGAIN!

It is unfortunate that this baby had to suffer the attack of a dog. Never will I understand this being allowed to happen, however, I will agree with @The_Four_Toed_Edward.

On a more important note, something is off here. This 3 year old should not have this much pyramiding had it been soaked daily as a baby. What are your temperatures? What type of indoor enclosure do you provide during the winter? Does it have access to UVB during the cold months?

Let's get some more detailed information please!
Soaking only will not keep a tortoise from pyramiding. Even the best humidity, 80%, and in a closed chamber, if a mercury vapor bulb was used, they will still pyramid. It wasn't too long ago that the mercury bulb was considered the best uvb source to get. Unfortunately, that info hasn't gone away from being found.

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Agree with @JoJosMom and @wellington the pyramiding looks concerning, please answer our questions and give details on your current and previous set up. Looks like something has gone wrong here, but further damage can still be prevented.