Tortoise walked away outside-- any ideas to attract him back?

Chip's mom

Location (City and/or State)
Philadelphia
I would check it out. Maybe someone picked it up closer to you and gave it to this person. If you don't check it out I think you might regret it.
Thank you! The woman posted the siting but didn't pick him up because it is near a park and she thought he was wild. I was there all morning and didn't spot him but handed out flyers, and I think I'll go back now and post flyers if they'll let me at restaurants and on phone poles. It has been 8 months and it is 8 miles and he is a big walker so I think it's possible he could walk that far.

Here are some more photos I found of Chip's shell and the one found outside. I want to find this one to see in person. They do look very close! I wonder how similar Eastern Hermann's look to each other. Chip has the distinctive pyramiding (was like that when we got him) and this spotted one seems to as well.

Attachments

• Chip shell.png
    Chip shell.png
    81.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Chip from Above.png
    Chip from Above.png
    207.1 KB · Views: 1
  • tempImagerUer3D.png
    tempImagerUer3D.png
    286.3 KB · Views: 1
  • tortoise spotted up close.jpg
    tortoise spotted up close.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 1

Chip's mom

Philadelphia
I think you should at least check it out. And if this guy/gal needs a home, maybe consider its meant to be :cool:
Someone posted a spotting but didn't get the tortoise. I walked around for 2 hours looking and put flyers in mailboxes. I think I'll go look more. It's a 20 minute drive! But it has been 8 months and he loves walking a ton.

Chip's mom

Philadelphia
I hope @Tom or @Yvonne G sees this thread so that they can offer their advice.

Natrah
I remember both of their advises from before and I got there first thing in the morning and also went down at eye level and felt around. It is a huge area in a neighborhood so I think flying is one of the best bets. I am going to look again though.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Maybe borrow a drone with live feed? Regardless if it is Chip, he should be in the wild. So you should take him home.

Last edited:

Chip's mom

Philadelphia
Maybe borrow a drone with live feed? Regardless if it is Chip, he should be in the wild. So you should take him home.
I agree. I wish the woman who spotted him got him. I know it's so confusing for people who don't know turtles/ tortoises well. We have native turtles here so they assume he's wild and leave him. I am glad she posted as it has given us hope!

Chip's mom

Philadelphia
Same here.

Natrah
That is so kind, thank you. Feels close but far. I looked for him most of the day, passed out flyers and posted in all the Facebook groups in that community. I already posted in all the lost pet groups which is how someone sent me the picture the woman posted. I wish I knew if it was really him. One of my sons is optimistic, another is skeptical that it is him, and the third is sad because he wants him home.

Chip's mom

Philadelphia
I'm far from knowing anything about this type of tortoise, but the pictures to me look very much like it could be Chip. Good luck I hope you find him and can see in person if it truly is Chip or not. This little guy needs a safe space too.
Those are my thoughts exactly, so I'm trying everything. Called out of work today for a full search!

Chip's mom

Philadelphia
Does anyone know if the light lines on a shell can get bigger or fill in to form a solid area? We've analyzed the shell patterns and the tortoise spotted has a few more yellow patches, which Chip doesn't have, but he has thin yellow lines in those areas.

He has been out for 8.5 months, so he has gotten a lot of sun. First 2 pictures are Chip to show the thin yellow line that would have had to grow on the one spotted. Many yellow patches are a little bigger on the one spotted.

Attachments

• Chip shell.png
    Chip shell.png
    81.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Chip close.jpeg
    Chip close.jpeg
    145.6 KB · Views: 2
  • tortoise spotted up close.jpg
    tortoise spotted up close.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Chip's mom

Philadelphia
Does anyone know if the light lines on a shell can get bigger or fill in to form a solid area? We've analyzed the shell patterns and the tortoise spotted has a few more yellow patches, which Chip doesn't have, but he has thin yellow lines in those areas.

He has been out for 8.5 months, so he has gotten a lot of sun. First 2 pictures are Chip to show the thin yellow line that would have had to grow on the one spotted. Many yellow patches are a little bigger on the one spotted.
I am thinking yes because our baby Russians is the reverse (light with dark stripes) and the stripes and dark patches have become thicker and more prominent.

Attachments

• 2 months old.png
    2 months old.png
    115.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 9 months old.png
    9 months old.png
    233.7 KB · Views: 1

MaNaAk

Southend
Dear @Chip's mom,

Don't forget that Chip might some damage to his shell due to wherever he's been. Daisy ended up losing a chip of shell because she wedged herself under the fence whilst trying to 'visit' our neighbour!

Natrah 🐢🐢

Chip's mom

Philadelphia
Dear @Chip's mom,

Don't forget that Chip might some damage to his shell due to wherever he's been. Daisy ended up losing a chip of shell because she wedged herself under the fence whilst trying to 'visit' our neighbour!

Natrah 🐢🐢
Oh boy! Yes, that is a good point and we'll definitely keep it in mind. I hope we can locate this one to see if it's him or help him. I've posted everywhere. Fingers crossed!