Update on Herman

Kisobel

Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
Hey everyone,

It’s been a while since I was last on here, and I never trusted this forum as I got told to avoid it. However I’m happy I trusted everybody that helped me as a new tortoise owner!

I’ve had Herman for about 5 months now, and he makes me the happiest person ever. Originally I had problems with him and I thought he was going to pass away as I didn’t have any correct info how to look after him as proven by those whom helped.

Honestly it’s really nice he gets up to normal tortoise stuff and has an actual sleep schedule of actives, also nice to see his own unique personality!

I’m posting this update for newcomers to just trust people on here, I know it’s hard to hear stuff as it was for me too but they know their stuff.

I’d also like to dedicate my thanks on behalf of me and Herman those whom helped me.

However he still doesn’t seem interested in his cuttlefish bone yet but I guess I have to wait.

Attachments

• IMG_4911.jpeg
    IMG_4911.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4910.jpeg
    IMG_4910.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 1
  • BEEDA6C4-8263-4053-AF93-E7AB79AE4578.jpeg
    BEEDA6C4-8263-4053-AF93-E7AB79AE4578.jpeg
    839.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4739.jpeg
    IMG_4739.jpeg
    256.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4734.jpeg
    IMG_4734.jpeg
    274.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4737.jpeg
    IMG_4737.jpeg
    421.8 KB · Views: 1

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Thank you for your kind words!

About cuttlebone: they can ignore it for months and then suddenly devour it in one take. Don't worry. If he doesn't touch it, then he doesn't need it right now.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So glad you figured out that we are just here to help and have as much concern for your tortoise and you having a long happy time with him.
As for the cuttlebone, you can scrape it onto his food a couple times a week if you want.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
What a lovely little tortoise! If you are worried about him not eating his cuttlebone, just grater a small amount unto his greens once or twice per week. Does he get opuntia cactus in his diet?

Kisobel

United Kingdom
What a lovely little tortoise! If you are worried about him not eating his cuttlebone, just grater a small amount unto his greens once or twice per week. Does he get opuntia cactus in his diet?
He does not no, I have no place at all to get it too.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
He does not no, I have no place at all to get it too.
You can order cactus pads from Tortoise Hut online shop (UK based). Yet while opuntia is a good food source, rich in calcium, he will do absolutely fine without it. However, opuntia pads are great as they can be stored for a long time without fridge and you can put one in the food bowl when you have to leave for a day or two (it won't mold or dry out).

Raquel1978

Swansea wales
He's so cute my little Herman's is obsessed with the cuttle fish funniest thing ever when she has white all over her face from it 😂.
The worse thing I did was use Google to make sure everything was correct, then found this place and realised the majority was wrong.
Atleast tho we could correct all the mistakes while ours were little and before any damage was done.