Mushrooms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radiated

5 Year Member
Hi
what mushrooms are safe to feed? Any pics? How often can they be fed? What are the benefits? Can they be fed to radiated tortoises and yniphoras?

Radiated

5 Year Member
Hi
what mushrooms are safe to feed? Any pics? How often can they be fed? What are the benefits? Can they be fed to radiated tortoises and yniphoras?

cueboy007

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ontario
I remember reading somewhere that mushrooms are not recommended for most tortoises, mushrooms are good for species that come from very humid areas, where they are naturally found, such as red foods.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
None for radiateds. They come from the great Madagascan spiny thickets, where mushrooms are rarely (if ever) found. ;)

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Ploughshares come from a very arid part of north west Madagascar where mushrooms don't naturally grow ( being a fungus spore in relatively humid and tropical environments) radiata are relatively similar environment but more of a vast region than that of the ploughshare. Some madagascar species will eat mushrooms. Mainly Pyxis and the species of Bella hinge back on Madagascar. I would not divert from a naturally simulated feed with those species you have. If your do have Pyxis the oyster mushroom is the most suitable for tortoise consumption. For your radiata and yniphora I would stick with typical leafy greens and hibiscus flowers. Rose of sharon is loved by these species and very good for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.