Marginated tortoise shell

maxellis01

Location (City and/or State)
Lincoln
Im not sure if the picture is clear as my phone is damaged severely, however, Are these marks bad?, they are like openings/marks on the shell, Is it bad and do i need to change anything?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,020.9 KB · Views: 2

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello! At a glance I see nothing especially bad. Can you highlight concerning areas on the photo? (draw a circle, for example).

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think you're talking about the new growth areas between the scutes. To me the new growth looks a bit dry. Do you have a bit of humidity in the enclosure?

Welcome!

maxellis01

Lincoln
I think you're talking about the new growth areas between the scutes. To me the new growth looks a bit dry. Do you have a bit of humidity in the enclosure?

Welcome!
Thank you, and yes there is some humidity.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
On the scutes you have 2 pigments light and dark, around the edge of the scutes you can see growth as a smaller ring or around the whole shell base between plastron and upper shell. Growth is great and expected. Mixed colour is ok and the dark pigment may expand and fill but if not you get a 2 tone tort. What you focus on is hydration and diet for smooth shell avoiding pyramiding. Add calcium to the diet for stronger beak, bones and claws. You can you apply coconut oil on the top to help moisturise and adding a regular warm water shallow in a high sided container will help hydration and water intake.