Wanted: Leopard Tortoise CB (Under 6months)

Status
Not open for further replies.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
Make sure you get a health certificate from the seller. It's a law that all Leopard tortoises that move from one state to another need a health certificate saying they are free of any tick borne illnesses.

Danny

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
Will do, thanks. I noticed almost all of the ones on Kingsnake classifieds do not have health certs. Is why i am posting here. Although the chances of one actually having it is very rare.

Not worth chancing it not making it through the mail though.

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
egyptiandan said:
Make sure you get a health certificate from the seller. It's a law that all Leopard tortoises that move from one state to another need a health certificate saying they are free of any tick borne illnesses.

Danny

I didn't know about this Dan. How does one acquire a health certificate?

Thanks,
Norman

Never mind...I found your sticky

"Health Certificates
All sellers of Sulcata tortoises, Centrochelys sulcata; Leopard tortoises, Stigmochelys pardalis and Bell's hingeback tortoises, Kinixys belliana need to have a health certificate from a vet saying they are free of tick borne illnesses to cross state lines.

Danny"

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If the tortoise is yours and you are shipping it across state lines, or taking it across state lines, you simply go to your vet with the tortoise and ask the vet for a health certificate. All it costs you is the vet visit...usually around $35. This is to ensure that the tortoise is free of the ticks from Africa that cause hooved animals health problems.

So in the case of you buying a tortoise from out of state, it would be the seller's responsibility to have the certificate with the tortoise.

Yvonne

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
egyptiandan said:

Danny

In reality, is this enforced any more often, then the law saying you can't sell turtles and tortoises under 4" ever was?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
It is enforced at expos, but not so much with regular people selling ones and twos. So yes if you want to skirt the law and your a hobbyist, most likely it won't be enforced. Always up to the person if they want to follow the rules or not. :p

Danny

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
If you use airlines, they pretty much check every box, and if it doesn't have one, your Leopard (and other torts that require health certs across state lines) will be taken, and usually killed from what I've been told from a few people.

ground mail usually doesn't check or doesn't at all. That's the problem i'm having in finding one.

I'd rather not have them ship it ground, and no one besides really super expensive ones have health certs.

Still looking for one!

Status
Not open for further replies.