2 mvb too much for one tortoise? more heat questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

yankeeslover

5 Year Member
Young greek. 4x3 enclosure. As per previous post I have a 160 zoomed powersun mvb. 100 degrees right below. Rest of enclosure is 70-72. His hide is 65. I sent private message to gbtortoises and he advised greeks should be more around 80 outside his basking area and too get another bulb. My question is what kind of bulb to hang? Should I get another mvb? I don't reall want two 100 degrees basking areas nor too much uvb. If not another mvb bulb then what else else is good for heat? I hate to have another bulb concentrate on one spot. Was thinkingof as dome with dimmer on it, but what type of bulb will heat to about 80 in decent area? Thanks

TotallyRad

5 Year Member
I think depending in the species and where it originated, and how much UV actually hits the ground in that area, then you can mimic that UV exposure to your animal within reason.

TotallyRad

5 Year Member
Agreed on the CHE. They are a great way to save money on constant need to replace bulbs and will not emit any light whatsoever. Perfect for keeping an enclosure nice and warm. Just make sure you supplement correctly if you use no UV.

TotallyRad

5 Year Member
yankeeslover said:
Is one mvb enough light for a greek?

plenty, if used correctly, and is maintained to factory standards for the life of the tort:tort:.

yankeeslover

5 Year Member
Ok, thanks. So I will stick with the 160 watt mvb on one end and get a ceramic emitter for other side. Now I need to see if I need 100 watt or 150 watt.. its heating area around 72 degrees right now. Enclosure is 4x3. I heard greeks need lots of light is this true? Hence why im asking if one mvb is enough

Status
Not open for further replies.