Agressive tortoise...help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

comebakthursday

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Richmond, VA
Hey all,
I have owned a greek tortoise(spot) for about 3 years now, hes about 4 years old, and a russian tortoise(zelda) for about a year, shes about 2 years old(these ages are not exact, just rough estimates based off my own personal knowledge). Previously they lived in a 80 gallon container and have always got along just fine, they actually rarely ever interacted with each other but they always slept, ate, and roamed the enclosure together without any problems. About a month ago i built a 6 foot by 4 foot enclosure for the two of them. I have no doubt that there needs are met on a daily basis.
My problem is, for the last 2 or three weeks, my russian tortoise has been very agressive towards my greek. She will charge and ram him, cut him off if he tries to walk by her, and occasionally she will snip at him(he will do the same to her but only out of defense). They also have slept together as long as we have had them. Just recently we added one of those large turtle shells that is suppose to serve as a 'hide a way' for the tortoise. When we first put it in neither of them paid any mind to it, but recently zelda has moved in there and is constantly digging even when she can't dig any further.

Can anybody please give me any guidance to my babies recent change in behavior? Thank you in advance for your time and responses!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
This often happens when a tortoise starts to mature into an adult. Tortoises in the wild are solitary, especially russians. one day they wake up closer to being an adult and then they no longer want anything to do with other tortoises. I see this often with california desert tortoises in my tortoise club. Separation is probably your best option for the tortoises health.

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota
I would keep them in different enclosures so the agressive russian wont hurt the non agressive greek tortoise.

comebakthursday

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Thank you for your responses. I do not know a lot about tortoise breeding or even if it's possible for them to cross-breed but would it be safe to assume that her behavior is not a result of pregnancy?

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
I would say it is not due to being gravid.

comebakthursday

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
ooooook I will be setting up a new home for the russian this week(as much as it will hurt me to see spot lose his friend). Thanks everybody!

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
They aren't friends especially now, I honestly don't think either one will mind being separated.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Comebakthurdsay:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

After you've had a chance to go through some of our back posts, you'll see that hardly any of us recommend keeping different species of tortoise together in the same habitat.

Russian tortoises are the meanest tortoises on the planet. Your Greek tortoise won't be lonely by itself. Tortoises are not a herd-type animal. They prefer to be alone. That way they don't have to share the best hiding place or the food. Its too easy for us humans to put OUR emotions and feeling onto animals. Tortoises don't think at all like humans. They're main goal in life is to know where the food source is, and to find the safest hiding place.

What would you like us to call you?

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota
I have 3 female Russians with 1 male and the male seems to like the small female the most. He has become aggressive with her so i had to put her in her own enclosure for her safety she seems a lot happier now that she is not being harassed.

tyrs4u

5 Year Member
Portland, OR.
Sadly it sounds like Zelda is maturing, or just snapped back into 'loner' mode which makes them push the other tortoise to potential death unfortunately. I have Lilith & Tweak my Female/Male combo that I hope to reed when they are older. They each have their own 60 gallon minimum enclosure. I know it sucks. But some people in your position adopt out the Russian or do what I do and only put them together when it's time to mate. otherwise they (the Russians) need to live a hermits life... Russians = The Happy Lonely Wanderers.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
pam said:
I have 3 female Russians with 1 male and the male seems to like the small female the most. He has become aggressive with her so i had to put her in her own enclosure for her safety she seems a lot happier now that she is not being harassed.
Wouldn't you be? :)

comebakthursday

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
emysemys said:
Hi Comebakthurdsay:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

After you've had a chance to go through some of our back posts, you'll see that hardly any of us recommend keeping different species of tortoise together in the same habitat.

Russian tortoises are the meanest tortoises on the planet. Your Greek tortoise won't be lonely by itself. Tortoises are not a herd-type animal. They prefer to be alone. That way they don't have to share the best hiding place or the food. Its too easy for us humans to put OUR emotions and feeling onto animals. Tortoises don't think at all like humans. They're main goal in life is to know where the food source is, and to find the safest hiding place.

What would you like us to call you?

Thank you for your insight and also for the warm welcome.

I understand the recommendation to keep the tortoise's separate, I have got mixed information on this though and figured as long as they could live cooperativly everything would be alright. Obviously that time has come to an end. I will be sure not to make that mistake again.

Although I can not say I am all upset, as this is a necessary and important part of her development and I am excited for her. I was mostly facetious in my comment about spot's lonliness. It does sadden me though that they will not both be able to enjoy the new enclosure I built for them. I will just have to build another.

You may call me Tyler.

Status
Not open for further replies.