Beak Issue

TKL

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
Hello all,

I came home from work this afternoon and noticed that the tip of the lower part of my 5 month old leopard's beak was pointing more forward rather than up.WP_20140629_006[1].jpg WP_20140629_013[1].jpg WP_20140629_014[1].jpgIt's a little hard to see from the pictures but it looks like as he bit down, the top part of his beak acted as a wedge and split the tip of the bottom portion away to the angle that it now rests at. the top half now notches perfectly into the created space and I've noticed that he is now having some trouble tearing pieces of his food off into swallow-able portions. For example, when he uses a foot to gain leverage to tear a piece of his dandelion, his beak does not pierce through and the leaf simply slides out.

Just looking for some advice on how to proceed. Should I try to file down the jutting out part? In the mean time I was thinking I'd have to cut up his food into smaller pieces. Any suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I think you'll find that it has broken, but just not completely off enough to come off. You can try to wiggle it back and forth and get it to come off, or maybe clip it off. But have some styptic powder available in case it bleeds a little.

474158gy04azrh2x.gif