Beak question

Status
Not open for further replies.

CCup

5 Year Member
I just adopted a Russian tortoise from a coworker who had her for 12 years. He told me that she broke her beak from a fall off a hide onto a rock in her enclosure four years ago. However, it seems to me that it looks overgrown as I cannot even see her lower jaw. She is getting used to an outdoor enclosure and I plan to feed her on a paver. Do you think these changes will be enough to get her beak in check with some time? Or maybe this is a normal look for a 12 year old?

Thanks in advance for your kind wisdom.
Cheers, CCup

Attachments

• image-4224656550.png
    image-4224656550.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 116

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
That is not normal, looks like an elephant. And it is to far overgrown to wear down naturally IMHO, I would try and get it ground down with a nail file or dremel. I am amazed the poor thing can eat with that beak. Once ground down, a piece of pave stone should keep it under control.

CCup

5 Year Member
Yes, despite assurances from the previous owner, it did not look right. She's been four years like this... And I wonder if that might account for the almost translucent appearance of the newer growth in her shell. I'm trying not to worry so much and give her some time to adjust to her new home but I'm really wondering what/how she eats.

CCup

5 Year Member
Here's another photo from the front. I'll try and take one from her other side today.

Attachments

• image-3429979400.png
    image-3429979400.png
    354.6 KB · Views: 87

princessdreamsxxx

5 Year Member
You need to either trim it yourself or take it to the vets as it could get an infection in the mouth due to food rotting in between the beak and mouth i have dealt with a Herman who I had to practically break it's jaw as we would call it to be able to open the mouth right up as the tortoise was dying and had other health issues and the whole if the inside of the mouth was black i trimmed the beak and flushed the mouth 4 times a day with diluted f10 solution and gently with my little finger used to wipe away any old food as it become loose obviously your tort looks quite healthy in the pic apart from the beak but you don't know what is going on inside so I hope this helps?

CCup

5 Year Member
I have no clue about trimming this myself. I talked to the former owner and he said the they fed her a couple of stalks of romaine everyday without anything hard under it. She was in an aquarium filled with rolled newspaper substrate, a half log hide and a rock about the size of a large fist. She also had a cuttlebone that she was taking little chunks out of. She was really active on her first day outside with us which I found surprising since she hasn't been out in over a year. She is heavy and kicks pretty actively when you pick her up so she does appear otherwise healthy. The former owner also held the belief that she got all her water from her food and never added any humidity to her environment. I'm not very experienced and so just a bit worried about taking on beak trimming. It sounds like time for me to find her a vet if eating off a rough surface isn't going to solve her issue.

CCup

5 Year Member
Your responses do help. Now that she is out of the glass tank, she is pretty aggressively trying to break the overgrowth off. Now that I am learning more about how she should look, I understand why. Maybe I'll add a carrot tonight and see if that helps her.

princessdreamsxxx

5 Year Member
The beak that far gone will never repair itself it needs a helping hand all the things you are now doing will prevent it happening break up lumps of chalk as well as twice a week if she is an adult putting nutrobol supplement on her food soak her at least once a week there is not enough water just from her food intake as you have found out, the beak you can trim with nail clippers kids size ones that have been sterilised and then you need to file with a nail file the edge so it's not sharp then open the mouth right up and wash it out if you dont feel comfortable doing this go to the vet and watch him do this then you will know how the tortoise will thrive with its beak trimmed especially from that are the claws ok?

CCup

5 Year Member
Thank you for your advice. Could you clarify a few of your suggestions? What are the lumps of chalk for? Does she eat it? Does it matter what kind of chalk? What is nutrobol?

Her nails are about a half inch long. She has been very active since we got her two days ago, pooped but has not eaten a ton. She walks all over the yard when we put her out, and climbs all over the hides in her outdoor enclosure, moves them around. She will sit still in the sun for a while and likes to hide under a rag rug. She does not seem to like being put in a shallow dish for soaking but I put her in twice a day anyway. She zips right out of it, but at least she is getting wet. I guess she is not used to it. Our baby tort loved to soak and would drink and sit calmly in there. This big girl is 12 years old. I'll get to work on finding a good vet for her. Id love to see her thrive. Maybe I'll call our breeder for suggestions.

princessdreamsxxx

5 Year Member
Hi yes any garden chalk just smash it up with a hammer she will eat it it's good for their shell and will help with the beak the nutrobol is a calcium supplement you put on the food this is all essential for a tortoise to survive they need good calcium intake as they breathe through their shell and the shell contains their blood supply which leads to there organs to keep it all healthy us a basic version if she dies not like a bath put her in a sink this has high edges that she can't climb out of and put her in a shallow warm bath and eventually she will start to get used to it if a tortoise can climb out they will if they don't like it but if she can't she will give up if done regularly as she will need to as you don't know how the internal organs are doing but the quicker you get the beak done she will not eat very much for a few days after as it will feel strange then she will go mad for food I am sure fingers crossed

CCup

5 Year Member
Some better photos showing the two sides of her beak.

She ate much more today. I think she's getting comfortable here. Thanks for the great info on her care.

Parts of her shell that looked transparent a few days ago already look darker. Do tortoises have a camouflage mechanism or is this due to exposure to sun?

Attachments

• image-1199646798.png
    image-1199646798.png
    906.7 KB · Views: 39
  • image-1206864020.png
    image-1206864020.png
    352.3 KB · Views: 49

princessdreamsxxx

5 Year Member
The clear bits of shell are new shell that is how it grows then with uv it turns darker, from the last pics it would be easy for you to clip that beak there is enough space between the bottom jaw to get the nail clippers and even if you clip the excess off it would help her look it up on google there maybe pics to help you

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
^^
I agree you should be able to trim the bottom a little by your self with a clipper. it will make the tortoise's life so much easier and don't worry that far down there is no feeling, like a fingernail. They don't hurt to clip until you reach the end, so a little trim off the bottom should be just fine.

CCup

5 Year Member
Does the beak need to be filed down from the front as well? The descriptions I read online suggest filing over clipping to reduce the chance of splitting the beak.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
You can file the beak down, but it might be a little to over grown to work, I would say clipping is still your quickest and best option.

dav3

5 Year Member
Scotland
CCup said:
I have no clue about trimming this myself. I talked to the former owner and he said the they fed her a couple of stalks of romaine everyday without anything hard under it. She was in an aquarium filled with rolled newspaper substrate, a half log hide and a rock about the size of a large fist. She also had a cuttlebone that she was taking little chunks out of. She was really active on her first day outside with us which I found surprising since she hasn't been out in over a year. She is heavy and kicks pretty actively when you pick her up so she does appear otherwise healthy. The former owner also held the belief that she got all her water from her food and never added any humidity to her environment. I'm not very experienced and so just a bit worried about taking on beak trimming. It sounds like time for me to find her a vet if eating off a rough surface isn't going to solve her issue.

if you dont feel comforable with trimming it, let a vet do it or you could do the " cheap and cheerful" way, buy a cuttle fish and let her chomp on tht, it will trim it down in no time.

she has a nice looking shell btw
best of luck

Status
Not open for further replies.